Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So this is an Emersons Bookbinder inspired beer, with the recipe originally from Studio1 - of this very website! I think it tastes killer right now, drink it while it's fresh, tuck in dudes!

I forgot to measure OG & FG, so it's more a guess ;)

Spellbinder III
Author: Studio1

OG 1.038?

FG: 1.010?

IBU: 28

About 4%?

Ingredients:

87.7% Golden Promise

6.3% CaraMalt

3.2% Medium Crystal

2.3% Dark Crystal

0.6% Black Malt

1g/l Riwaka 15m

1g/l NZ Goldings 15m

1g/l Riwaka 0m

1g/l NZ Goldings 0m

1g/l Riwaka dry hop

1g/l NZ Goldings dry hop

Equal amounts of Riwaka & NZ Goldings at 60m to achieve 28 IBU.

Water profile: Ca 51 Mg 9 Na 52 Chl 79 S04 74

Can't remember the CaC03...

4th gen US05.

Views: 4758

Replies to This Discussion

may need top have words then...

I MADE A BEER VERY VERY SIMILAR TO THIS...

Mine was as follows for 23 litres

3.8kg gladfield pale
0.25kg gladfield toffee
0.12kg gladfield medium crystal
0.1kg gladfield dark crystal
20g black

i used UK fuggles and riwaka in equal portions, and 10g each for bittering, rather than the higher 17, to keep the IBU's in check. I gotta say this is awesome, its being re-done early next year with NZ goldings.

Stu, i realise the malt bill is different to bookie, and its only "an inspired" beer, but how close is the nz goldings taste wise  is it a bookie type taste? or very different? The UK Fuggles used, are very different but you can tell bookie has that fuggle type taste, its kinda hard to describe. lol

go for it, its a great brew.

Rob,

Good work using Gladfields - it'd say that's what they're using in the Emersons brewery.

Unfortunately I can't remember much about the taste of the last one apart from I thought it was "awesome", and "delicious". I never actually compared it side-by-side to bookie. I'd say it's pretty likely he's doing it with pretty much all NZ ingredients.

Sorry not much help

S

I also think its probably all Gladys, how they cultivate yeast is cool as well.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151941128253617&set=a...

One of the other chch brewers actually had a conversation with Richard not so long ago, and it was confirmed as all local ingredients.

NZ Fuggles and Riwaka

Richards a big advocate for gladfield stuff.

Mines awesome too, its about 4 weeks in the bottle and tasting really really fresh. wouldnt change the malt bill one bit.

Straight from the horses mouth when I spoke to Richard at the South Island Beer festival.

The malts are all Gladfield:

Ale malt, Medium Crystal, Chocolate and.... lager malt (I know, surprised me too)

The hops are NZ fuggles and Riwaka.

But like he said, it is all about the proportions! I have done one test batch that is sitting in the carboy at the moment. I used:

66.8% Ale Malt

16.7% Medium Crystal

14.6% Lager malt

1.9% Chocolate

Bittering was equal parts Riwaka and NZ fuggles. Then at 10mins 2 parts NZ Fuggles to Riwaka, and at 5mins just NZ fuggles.

I feel that there is not a dry hop as I never get too much on the nose, the hop flavour comes after drinking it. So I am not going to dry hop. I also think that there is more NZ fuggles than Riwaka, but that is only my opinion.

From what I can see it looks a bit too dark so possibly a bit heavy on the medium. And I used the Burton ale yeast which is incorrect but I had half a packet to use up ( I am only doing a 4.5L batch) I hope to bottle this week at some point so we will find out around Christmas if I got it right! Then it will be onto batch 2.

Has anyone ever tested the FG of Booky?

what yeast do you think they use?

and how many ibus at each addition and in total?

I'm 99% sure he uses US-05 for it.

FInney I think your probably right in a home brew setup, there would be no real dryhop.In the copmmercial version, i think there might be a small one? I do pick up some riwaka aroma, its pretty faint but its there.

shame it wont be ready for Friday. lol.

re the larger malt and ale malt, I hear a lot of craft brewers mix the 2 gladys malts in there beers.

does the Lager malt need 90mins boil like Pilsner? or can we just use as standard.

Good question rob,  I boil all my beers for 80-90 now anyways, would def not cover the pot at all.   I would toss in 1.5% acid malt as well if gladfields is base ale malt

doing a double batch but running with below (keeping my gold plated GP for a different beer now - maximus clone ver2)

Hi Paul,

how did this turn out?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service