Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So this is an Emersons Bookbinder inspired beer, with the recipe originally from Studio1 - of this very website! I think it tastes killer right now, drink it while it's fresh, tuck in dudes!

I forgot to measure OG & FG, so it's more a guess ;)

Spellbinder III
Author: Studio1

OG 1.038?

FG: 1.010?

IBU: 28

About 4%?

Ingredients:

87.7% Golden Promise

6.3% CaraMalt

3.2% Medium Crystal

2.3% Dark Crystal

0.6% Black Malt

1g/l Riwaka 15m

1g/l NZ Goldings 15m

1g/l Riwaka 0m

1g/l NZ Goldings 0m

1g/l Riwaka dry hop

1g/l NZ Goldings dry hop

Equal amounts of Riwaka & NZ Goldings at 60m to achieve 28 IBU.

Water profile: Ca 51 Mg 9 Na 52 Chl 79 S04 74

Can't remember the CaC03...

4th gen US05.

Views: 4758

Replies to This Discussion

Appearance Poured from a height to get some head - didn't work. First glass was clear amber, second was a little cloudy because of sediment in the bottle - I didn't realize it was bottle conditioned.

Aroma Nice citrus 'Riwaka' smell. 

Flavour Rather sweet I'm afraid. Needed more carbonation to curb the sweet malt and carry the hops.

Mouthfeel Under carbed. Sticky.

Overall If this had a higher level of carb it would have made a huge difference. Still, not a bad beer - it just could have been better I suppose. Cheers!

Appearance: Dark brown, very clear, no head.

Nose: A nice sweet peachy aroma with a faint hop (Riwaka i presume)

Taste: A nice malt balanced with hop followed with a nice sweetness (I had expected a finishing bitterness, but this was a nice change) .

Mouthfeel: Reasonably flat, but i didn't find the carbonation too far off (despite the lack of head). 

Overall: I really enjoyed this, and with a slight tweak to the carbonation would be brilliant. I enjoyed the lingering sweetness. Cheers Stu!

A refined looking beer as it pours a clear chestnut red into my glass.  The head drops in a minute or two but who cares with the aroma of pineapple and mild malt hitting my nostrils.  Tasting it I get the sweet malt again with a hint of lolly sugar and milk arrowroot biscuit.  I haven't been able to get past the "burnt tyre" punguency description of riwaka for a ages, but there it is - balanced with the fruit and sweetness though.  With the low carbonation the mouth feel is thinner than I'd want for a keg full - but easy fixed.  Cracking little beer Stu - this ones on the to brew list.  Cheers!

Hi Stu,

I'm hoping to clone your clone!

I think I've got it here, but I don't want to stuff it up so thought I'd just ask your opinion on the following (as I'm still new to this). I've upped the IBU's to 32 based on some of the feedback you got.

[b]Bookbinder[/b]
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

[b]Recipe Specs[/b]
----------------
Batch Size (L):           23.0
Total Grain (kg):         3.765
Total Hops (g):           172.00
Original Gravity (OG):    1.039  (°P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG):       1.010  (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV):  3.83 %
Colour (SRM):             10.2   (EBC): 20.1
Bitterness (IBU):         32.3   (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

[b]Grain Bill[/b]
----------------
3.300 kg Golden Promise Malt (87.65%)
0.240 kg Caramalt (6.37%)
0.120 kg Crystal 60 (3.19%)
0.085 kg Crystal 120 (2.26%)
0.020 kg Black Malt (0.53%)

[b]Hop Bill[/b]
----------------
17.0 g NZGolding Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
17.0 g Riwaka Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
23.0 g NZGolding Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
23.0 g Riwaka Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
23.0 g NZGolding Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
23.0 g Riwaka Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
23.0 g NZGolding Pellet (4.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)
23.0 g Riwaka Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)

[

Looks good dude, it's a cheap beer to brew, so just go for it!

Rehydrate your dried yeast, aerate your wort before pitching, control your fermentation temp, and you'll be away! 

Doing a double batch for myself and a friend this week....   

Nice one! Let me know how it comes out!

thanks Stu! This beer thing really is (relatively) easy isn't it.

Must say the Bookbinder clone is a  lot cheaper than the Pliny the Elder clone i just did..less than half the price but still a great awesome beer!

Yeah totally, low gravity beers are awesome - easier to ferment, cheaper to make, don't get you too slizzled!

Just got a bag of golden promise and it cost me $92 for 25kg...   I can see why Gladfields is doing so well now.

where are you? Baylands in Wellington do them for $75...and if you are out of Wellington then $11 postage. Mmmm probably not worth it if you aren't in Wellington!

http://www.baylandsbrewery.com/store/golden-promise-malt-25kg-sack

its due to it being the floor malted version according to mike at BC   says the cheaper one was not in last order....   my last one was WAY cheaper from BC

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service