Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not that I'm trying to capatalise... but Mr Cherry asked if I could list this as a recipe kit on our website. So I did. And it includes the Riwaka.

http://www.libertybrewing.co.nz/content/mash-all-grain-recipe-kit

Cheers.

That's a seriously good idea. Shot bro!
Hmmmmm... just the yeast I need to work on for that.

Saison is all about the yeast - so the malt grist can be really simple.

I'd start off with something like 70% Pale Malt, 20% Vienna and 10% White sugar.

Bitter to 40IBU with a Noble type hop, then use 50g or so at the end to spice it up. Styrian is a good one to use there.

Stupid Question time - dialled the numbers for Mash Up into Beersmith - IBU came out at 21-ish (.32 IBU/SG). Is that about right?

Hi John,

I use my own spreadsheet for bitterness and it is based on the boil efficiencies at Steam, so you may need to have a play around with the first 2 hop additions to get the bitterness up. Remember though that Southern Cross gives quite an intense bitter finish, very peel-like in character, so even if you aim for 35 BUs, you will likely get the intensity of something 5-10 BUs higher. Any queries, let me know. 

Cheers Kelly

21 IBU seemed pretty low to me - will aim for closer to 35IBU.

Look forward to brewing it and doing a few side-by-sides with the real mcCoy.

Brewing a Belgian Pale ale today, aimed at using up a bunch of bits & pieces of specialty grains.

(Ghost) Frites & Gravy

2kg Maris Otter

1.52kg Pilsner

200g Aromatic

200g CaraRed

200g Melanoidin

200g Special B

90 minute boil.

20g Southern Cross @ 60 mins

20g NZ Cascade @ 5

20g NZ Cascade @ 0

Wy3522 Ardennes yeast. Revived after over a year in the fridged by using a 2-step starter on the stirplate.

Aiming for about 1.045 and 30IBUs. Just a general quaffer with a decent malt & yeast character.

Thats an impressive start up on oldish yeast Martin - most of the info I've seen says to ditch it if it hasn't been used after 3 months fridge storage - my trials would support that. 

Are you multistep washing and then storing under sterile/distilled water to get this type of longevity?  Do you use a pressure cooker to sterilise?  Any other tips you can share on getting this kind of life out your yeast? 

Er, nothing that sophisticated. I think I've just been lucky. All I did was give it a decent wash with cooled boiled water then store in the fridge under that. I wasn't sure if I'd ever re-use it but I've been trying to keep my costs down recently so I thought I'd attempt to resurrect it. I gave it a half litre of starter (just using DME) and it kicked up on the stirplate really quickly. I gave it the sniff test and it seemed OK, no odd aromas, so I tipped in another litre of starter wort and continued stirring for another couple of days. I left it for a couple of days to settle out then tipped off the liquid and pitched the slurry.

Pitched at 20 degrees last night and by this morning there's a nice thick yeast layer on the top. I'm not going to claim success for this until I taste the beer, but so far the signs are good. Not sure if I'll re-use this generation though - I think that might be pushing my luck a bit.

Thanks Martin - sounds like you've got the yeast wranglers touch there - good stuff.  Your process is pretty much what I've done - so its good to know that stretchng the "common wisdom" boundaries sometimes pays off.  Ardennes could be a particularly robust strain too -- I'll be interested to know how you think the final beer turns out.  Cheers

Hi all, NZ pale ale this time, just threw some NZ cascade flowers into the fermenter

4.2kg kolsch

0.3kg dark caramalt

100g sucrose

20g pacific jade @ 60

20g wai-iti @ 20

20g wai-iti @ 15

10g wai-iti @ 5

15g (1 handful) NZ cascade flowers @ 0

45g (3 handfuls) NZ cascade flowers dry hop for 10 days

> ~42IBU

made 23L, came out at 1.045, pitched 11g of US-05

should be tasty