Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The original with the weetbix has dried right out.

Was that Windsor?  What was the final gravity?

Just wondering what dried it out.

Yes it was windsor and went 1041 to 1015. Started off quite mild and sweet but its dried as its conditioned. I'll drop the weetbix if i do it again and use motueka instead of the goldings ... If the hydrometer sample of batch 2 is anything to go by
My Weetbix version has come out quite high at 1.022. I did pretty much double the amount of crystal from the original recipe and I was using the Wyeast British II which I have not used before. Initial tastings are promising.
Just kegged tthe second one, weetbix and motueka. 1034 to 1012 from memory. Motueka in place of the styrians/ foldings, beaut!

Hada sample of this Sunday with Chris, a day or two after kegging it.
It was a bit yeasty and subdued but I tried it again last night with a few more days carbonation and conditioning and it was much improved

I have MK III in the planning for the weekend and I'm going a bit lighter on the darker malts, half the choccy and nearly dropping the black right out
I'm not changing the hops this time round, sticking with Motueka and hopefully it'll come through nicely with the lighter malt

I found the windsor yeast bloody awful tasting until it settles right out and conditions a bit. It's nice after that.
Me too, I just tried it for the first time in a bitter, I thought id picked up something nasty along the way, but decided to keep it and it seems to be improving like you say. Also my beer finished at 1.016 (from 1.052) but tastes super thin, hydrometer seems to be testing correctly too. Strange
It hasn't taken long, maybe a week in the keg and 5 days on gas ... or maybe I'm just a bit insensitive.
Mk III is just conditioning, no weetbix this time and a bit lighter on the chocolate and black, also more Motueka. More where I wanted to be and there'll be a MKIV before long I'd say.

Brewed the lightest, cheapest lager I dared on Sat:

3.6kg Malteurop pils

1kg rice (cereal mash)

20IBU Hallertau Aroma

Saflager S-23

OG 1.048

Should test my brewing skill, hopefully it tastes bland and refreshing.

I've got something nearly identical in at the moment (except more like 25% rice and 25 IBUs). Struggling to keep it cold, but it look like it's going ok right now. 

I have never brewed with rice - do you just chuck it in the mash - I love my freezer with temp control lastest pils sitting at 11 C no worries - highly recommended.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service