Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not particularly, but I would grab one of the Epic Pale ale clones around and step it up a bit... and you probably wont be far off?? There are a few versions floating around (like here http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/beginner-wanting-to-br... ) I would guess at a couple of whirlpool additions at 0 and 10 mins in a 20min whirlpool?

This was my version of it

Type: All Grain Date: 13-02-2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 35.00 l Brewer: Zane
Boil Size: 45.57 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Zane BIAB
End of Boil Volume 34.32 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 31.00 l Est Mash Efficiency 81.4 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 45
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.000 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
7.300 kg Gladfields Pale Ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 81.2 %
0.900 kg Caramalt (30.0 EBC) Grain 3 10.0 %
0.495 kg Crystal Pale Bairds (95.0 EBC) Grain 4 5.5 %
0.300 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 3.3 %
16.00 g Cascade US [5.60 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 6.6 IBUs
30.00 g Cascade US [5.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.9 IBUs
0.70 g Compac CG (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
71.00 g Cascade US [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 9.9 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 10 -
90.00 g Whirlpool 1 for 20 min Cascade US [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
90.00 g Whirlpool 2 Add after 10 min, whirlpool for 10 min. Cascade US [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -
115.00 g Cascade US [5.60 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
115.00 g Cascade US [5.60 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 25.4 IBUs Calories: 499.8 kcal/l

Est Color: 17.2 EBC

By the way the IBUs are way higher than calculated. The 20min whirlpool adds IBUs.

Yeah, I thought of the CYBI recipe, using the malts specified on the website, and then using that particular hop schedule with some minor changes, as its a proven recipe  for me.

might be a good start for

this is what malt bill, which funnilly enough is the same as mosaic IPA. asthey are doing a series of single hop beers with the same malt bill and hop schedule, but different varieties. its here below.

Malt

• Maris Otter
  • Munich
  • Caramalt
  • Crystal

Hops

• Zythos

might as well go with a proven recipe if trying new hops! I would say go for it!

I will try and bring along some of the recipe above on Friday night to try...

Sounds good mate. See you Friday.

Hey Zane, Liquorland riccarton, have the new mosaic if your looking for it.

Nice. Probably means it has hit the distributors here in chch. I might check out my usual haunts over this side of town to see if it is in!

Pretty stoked to get this one done over the weekend.  I'd been hanging out for weeks to brew my first harvest ale seeing the bracts slowly ripening in the late summer afternoon sun. 

2013 Danscade Harvest Ale
Batch Size: 25.00 L:

Ingredients
4.60 kg Gladfields Lager   85.66 %
0.30 kg Carared 5.59 %
0.25 kg CaraPils  4.66 %
0.17 kg CaraMalt  3.17 %
0.05 kg Acidulated  0.93 %

20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin (90 min) (First Wort Hop) 31.6 IBU
40.00 gm Danscade (Home grown Danscade Dry) [5.00 %] (5 min) 3.6 IBU
10.00 gm Galaxy [10.00 %] (5 min) 2.0 IBU
300.00 gm Danscade (Home grown Danscade Wet) [5.00 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm Danscade (Home grown Danscade Dry) [5.00 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm Galaxy [10.00 %] (0 min) 

300.00 gm Danscade (Home grown Danscade Wet) [5.00 %] (Steep @ 5 min post FO)
2.00 tsp Citric Acid - sparge acidification
2.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4)
7.00 gm Calcium Chloride
8.00 gm Gypsum
1 Pkgs rehydrated American West Coast (Danstar #BRY-97) Yeast-Ale

Pitched at 18degC.  Fermented @ 18 for 72 hours.  Then raised to 0.5 deg per day to 21deg and hold for 2 days.

Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Bitterness: 37.1 IBU
Est Color: 5.6 SRM

Some pics from brewnight

Home grown hops weighed up pre brew

Kettle full 'o' hops post boil.

A few notes from the session that might be interesting.

• Having dry hopped a half finished keg with a few of these hops in the week prior I thought they needed a bit of fruit to help carry the spicy, citrus, green hop characters they had - hence the NS and Galaxy.
  • The IBUs for the fresh hops were a total guess - but I figured late additions wouldn't add much.  From what I can tell so far the final wort/beer tastes like around 45 IBU
  • Most of the fresh hops added were wet (picked an hour or so earlier), while 60g were air dried a week before.  I upped my usual brew volume by a couple of litres (to 25L) in case the hops absorbed some wort. In the end I got 22L into the fermentor.  Once the trub settled using the patented 'Joseph Wood wort recovery system' I had 1.5L of usable wort.  This about equals my usual recoverable wort and PA trub volume despite the large amount of hop leaf material left in the kettle.  So based on those volumes I'd say that using large amounts of mostly wet hops doesn't absorb any more wort than I'd see in a usual batch.
  • The smell from 300g of wet hops added at FO is bloody fantastic!
  • I had considered a 10min whirlpool addition as well to try and capture as much of the volatile fresh hop character as possible.  What stopped me doing this was the wildlife in the hop flowers.  Every third flower seemed to have some sort of bug in it so I thought it'd be better to make sure they had a good hot steep to pasteurise any remaining greeblies.

That looks awesome bro! :)

I'm planning to brew on Friday using 1kg of my homegrown Sticklebract, unfortunately I had to freeze it, couldn't quite line up a brew day with the harvest day.

I'm a little concerned about the flowers pluggin my kettle's out port, need to have a think about the best way to keep that clear with all the vege matter.

Yeah, was a fun brew for sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about blocking the outflow - I positioned the pick up tube so it sat a few mm off the base of the kettle near but TBH the flowers don't form a water tight plug - more likely to get that with pellet sludge and trub.  Run off was slowish but steady. 

That does sound fantastic.  And thanks to this, and the hop-growing thread, I now feel the need to start a hop crop of my own.  I have a problem, and you lot are a bunch of enablers ;)

I didn't play around with hopville until after I'd put it down ... whoops

Should be 'interesting' ...

It's my 1st 'full' boil :)

1st lesson ... I need to put a volume gauge on the side of my pot.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1691858

Is that BU:GU figure as bad as I think it's going to be??

Maybe?  Keep in mind that the IBU is calculated, and actual bitterness will depend on your utilization (boil vigor, boil gravity etc).  And when the yeast flocculates it will take some bitterness with it.  That said, with a gravity that low, it will probably be pretty bitter.

More or less falls into the range of a NZ Pale Ale (http://nhc.soba.org.nz/styles#0E), though probably a bit imbalanced toward the hoppy/bitter side.  No point worrying about it now, just wait and see how it tastes.

Interesting choice of yeast.  What made you go for that?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service