Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Seen something on Trademe that others maybe interested in...post it here

Views: 33090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any one using a Keg Cooker (converted 50L keg) for boiling up wort?  A few going on trademe at around 250 or 450 with burner and SS baskets, as made for food etc. Any good for beer making through?  Cheers.

That sounds a bit pricey Jess. A lot of people use converted kegs with the top cut out as kettles or mashtuns, but that usually relies on getting the kegs cheap and cutting some holes yourself. Another option is the likes of these s/s pots on Trademe.

The burner with the keg cooker looks a bit small for boiling 25 (or 50 litres for a double batch). You can easily pick up a three-ring for about $70 that should do the job or some of us use other burners with a bit more output, or with an adjustable medium pressure regulator to save some time. 

Thanks for that.  I really distrust the quality of those China type imports, and at those low prices.  I guess a good DBreweries SS keg at the right price would last a lot longer.  I assume the keg SS quality and thickness would be superior.  Just need to get one at the right price then ; )

you are correct on the quality issue, welding fittings to kegs is miles easier than those thin wall pots and  they seem to come in 304 and 316 grades of stainless, whereas who knows what alloys those cheap pots are made of. If you only do 25 litre batches then sankes are definitely a good way to go, though if you do bigger batches there doesnt appear to be a lot of options for quality vessels to modify 

300L SS wine vats with lids and sight glass and tap.  Good value, if not large.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry...

Out of interest.  Do 50L keg kettles conversions require added metal plating underneath to prevent heat damage/wort burning from the burner?

no

Cheers : )

Heres a good selection of brewing kit in south Auckland :) http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/food-beverage/other/auction-48...

I got a 45L one of these off these same traders. Beautifully made, really high quality stainless work from Speidel in Germany. The sellers operate a winery and just use these to top up bottles at bottling time by the sounds of things, so they haven't seen much use :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service