Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had taps block with hops before ...I'll give it a couple of days ... it's down to 12C and clearing.

Thanks for the tip on giving it a shake, off to bump it now

cheers, jt

Are you there Mr Cherry ?

3 days at 12C on the garage floor seemed to do the job pretty well.

I filled few bottles first and got a few floaties in the first one.

But the rest was pretty clear, all settled out and ended up in my glass at the end !

That went a lot better than my spring / summer / autumn attempts for sure.

Good stuff jt.  I hope the flavour & aroma in the finished beer meets your expectations.  

When I keg I always siphon from the top of the beer so the hops & yeast are always at the bottom and I bottle the cloudy, hoppy dregs.  It sounds like you run off from the fermenter to the keg which means that you first runnings will contain the hops & yeasty lumps.

I think I got the hops & yeast in the hydrometer sample and the first bottle.

Impressed that it dropped so well despite not chilling particularly well ... or maybe I've just forgotten as I haven't dry hopped in a while

Tasted good, not a fruity as the warm hydrometer sample, but I'm pleased so far

Hadn't considered siphoning off the top .. worth checking

cheers, jt

I think the dry hop was a little unbalanced, nearly all Motueka. 

It could have done with something else along with it

I like the base flavour of the hops, but the aroma from Motueka by itself doesn't match it, a little thin

What dry hop volumes did you go for in the end jt?

I've wondered what a 50:50 Motueka/Hallertau hop combo would be like.

It was about 45gm motueka and 10g hallertau in 25litres in the fermenter ... it was the last of the respective bags.

Would've been better with a more even split as you suggested, which would have been in line with what went in the boil ... next time  eh ?

Mmm Saison Sauvin (8 Wired)

Nom nom nom!! Veeeery nice!!

Mikes/Liberty Taranaki Pale Ale picked up from Regionals,

I'm loving it!!!!!

Though I was surprised after smelling it that there was no Riwaka in it?

Mikes IIPA that I had after it at the tasting seemed very ordinary in comparison.

My version of Vincent's Base Player (adjusted to make 60L) is in its prime. This is the second batch using my Washing Machine Lauter Tin. I like the Citra hops, more mango than citris. I had a Deception on Thursday, delicious, some of the aromas reminded me of the Barrel Room at Hallertau, fruity on the silage side of things..
I had a tasting of both this weekend too - TPA was outstanding, nice work Joe. I remember IIPA tasting as good when it first came out, but the latest batch didn't quite have the same characters. Just goes to show that hops can change noticeably year to year (or is it an entirely different recipe?).

Not my own beer for a change.

From the visit to Jacko's last week, a berliner weisse. Yea Jacko, I would've struggled with that if I hadn't have known what it was and what to expect. I can imagine that as a really good summer beer. I actually enjoyed the tartness of it.

Called into Chris' to pick up the yeast for brewday and came home with an Amarillo Pale. I really like the malt in this, must check, it's golden promise yea? - must give it a go myself

On the way home I popped into Moore Wilsons, picked up a Booky, 3Boys Golden and a renaisance Discovery

Had the Discovery after the Amarillo pale.

The Booky and the 3boys ? No for me, I had them ready for brother Bob's arrival in the afternoon after his last 2 months in the beer desert of Abu Dhabi

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service