Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I read a couple of posts that mention bulk LME from Maltexo. Has anyone tried it? The local Bin Inn has it at $4.90 a KG, but I think it might be the food grade one (is there really a difference between their food grade and brewers grade).

Just wondering if it is worth using, as it is about a third cheaper than buying it in cans.

Views: 1721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could contact their email on their page www.maltexo.co.nz and ask them what the difference is, also ask the bin inn which grade they are stocking.
Asked the Bin Inn. Guy couln't tell me, although said a lot of people use it for home brew. Took that with a pinch of salt however...
Yeh Ive asked my bin inn simple questions before that they cant answer fully, just ask them to get their supplier on the line or the suppliers phone number! its funny how some retailers dont even know their products!
Last time I looked I think they had spec sheets for the various malts on the web
Just got a reply from Maltexo. I had already bought 4KG from Bin Inn - and I still don't know what grade it is! Heres hoping it isn't maltexo plus! Their reply:

All these are food grade, however the non brewing product is generally used as a food supplement. The Maltexo Plain could be used for brewing without problems, the major difference being that a large portion of the extract is from barley as opposed to malt. The Maltexo Plus however also contains fish oils to boost vitamin A and E levels, and would not make a good brewing substrate!

Regards

The Maltexo team
the major difference being that a large portion of the extract is from barley as opposed to malt

So if it's not barley malt it could be wheat ?
don't they mean that they've extracted it direct from unmalted barley, by chemical means, rather than that it is a diff type of malt

i once brewed a very small amount of beer - 2L - by malting a small bag of barley from the organics shop, kilning it crudely in the oven, mashing it and supplementing it with a small tin of normal maltexo. i think i probably produced a kind of dark crystal malt or munich type malt from the grain, who knows. anyway the beer was drinkable - just - pretty rough round the edges, but had no head to speak of.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service