Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I thought I would start a thread about Beervana as it is pretty new and we are working on a lot behind the scenes.

Festive Brews will be back at Beervana.

Views: 100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stu, We're one of very few breweries that are serious about our environmental commitments. As a result of this we're currently assessing our own carbon footprint, and will take steps to mitigate this, but as we use organic ingredients and have the bottle re-use, and this may not be accounted for in this, our overall impact will be far less.
We have only sent beer to Oz just now, but the States is signed but not delivered just yet. Shipping lines are more and more aware of efficiencies today, and they are becoming more 'lean' with their fuel usage. That said, we will also bear those companies in mind when it comes to making that choice, too.
'Being a greenie from way-back" is a historical statement, and is also one of my personal 'core beliefs' too, but there comes a time when we as a business will look to broaden our horizons, but will still look to minimise our environmental impact, and mitigate those impacts that are unavoidable.
I believe we remain NZ's most environmentally-aware brewery, though would be delighted if some other brewery was with us or even ahead of us.
Fair response. I do realise that can only go so far and remain in business with being green. I'm sure Andrew at The Mussel Inn asks himself questions at times too (plastic riggers in supermarkets and at the new onlines beer store are probably a means to keeping the the more "green" side of the business going).

I certainly agree that too few breweries are trying hard in this department - I guess they'll think about when they get taxed or priced into thinking about it. It is nice to see people trying. I'm no environmental expert but I grew up in a composting family and I still hate seeing food waste going into plastic bags or down waste disposals. Some would say that is the Scottish side of me but I'd say it is because I'm aware that I am made of my environment.

In regards to shipping beer around, it is nice to see that Craig Bowen at BeerNZ is, in some instances, able to ship some beer across the country and then fill the empty kegs with beer before shipping back. It's more about stripping back some of the shipping cost wastage than about being "green" but it keeps beer lovers happy and lessens empty keg shipping. Shame you aren't getting your bottles returned with some nice American beer in them ;-)

Cheers
Stu
Hi Stu, that last line may come back to haunt you, boyyo!! ;-) We are in fact looking into that possibility, with a Dunedin lad over there, also 'a bit of a greenie', who has a large demand for our (and other NZ-brewed) products there, and he's found a local brewery who may be keen to re-use them, and possibly ship them back here. Now wouldn't that be good use of resources? Watch this space.
C Ya in a few days. Am comin up early to do a series of tastings in Wellington, not least the launch of Whisky Bock at Rumbles on Friday aftie!!
Cheers, Tom
There's a fair few people around these parts that would part with good money for good American beer... I hope you can bring some back.

I'm out of town for two weeks from 4am Friday. Bad timing I know! Have a beer or two for me at BrewNZ (especially Yeastie Boys - I've heard it tastes pretty good).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service