Pilgrim

Male

Wanganui

New Zealand

Profile Information:

Favorite Beers?
Copper Hop, Sassy Red, Hallertau's Copper Tart, Emersons Pilsner, 8 Wired Rewired, 8 Wired Tall Poppy, Baltika No 4, Green King Strong Suffolk, Townsend Old House ESB, Owd Roger, Garage Project Pernicious Weed.
Favorite Breweries?
The Weary Pilgrim, Hallertau.
Favorite Bars/Pubs?
The Rutland Arms, Wanganui; The Malthouse, Wellington; Rhythm & Brown, Nelson.
About Me:
Been Home Brewing for over 40 years. Was doing traditional mash all grain 42 litre brews in my 3 tier gravity fed stainless steel system. 56 litre Mash Tun and 82 litre brew kettle. Sold that now and bought a GrainFather.

Comment Wall:

• Reviled

Wow 40 years of brewing, thats awesome! Do you brew with grains?
  • Reviled

Nice mate, youll have to post some pics up once youve finished the build ;o)
  • denimglen

Hey mate,

Bigger is better overall I'd say.

The only thing that springs to mind with the bigger pot is a larger air to wort surface area giving a larger boil off rate, which isn't really a biggie, just need to account for it. There's kinda a science around kettle geometry but I don't think on our scale it's a big deal.

I'm using the 40L and wishing it was a few litres bigger, you should be fine with 56L.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do a 40L brew you'd be looking at about a 50L boil, and because those kettles are quite wide (without doing the math) you might only have an inch or so from the 50L mark to the brim. So might have some boil over dramas if you're looking to push it to some limits, but nothing some stirring or Fermcap can't take care of!
  • Reviled

Woohoo, great stuff mate you must be stoked :o) Ive sent you an email...
  • James P

Hi Pilgram, 1985 I think I was still messing with a Spectrum, an Archimedes and an Amstrad! I would have loved to have been involved in the IT industry during those times the progression with the likes of Wanganui, and the mainframes coming online must have been pretty surreal (for this geek anyway!).
  • JoKing

Gidday mate. I'm flying in from Chch on the friday at about 3pm, so Mike is picking me up from there... we might shoot into the Malthouse before the 5pm session, but I was gonna get in there early to see if Paul Croucher or Steve Plowman needed a hand with dispensing.

After beervana finishes however... who knows?!?
  • HerrSchnapps

Sure, pm me your address and I'll hopefully send something up :)
  • Steph

yay...
  • Mike Neilson

I dont like getting Plastered, What I do like is Brewing chatting and drinking the wares, and if I fall asleep on the toilet and break it because the company and beer has been so good so be it!! hahaha!! Are you coming down for the event??
  • Mike Neilson

They are basicly the same, all it is, is acceptance of NZ hops, as the US ones are expensive and hard to source. Should be a fun afternoon!!
  • Nolen Smith

No, moved to welly in 97. Spent 1 year in total in Wangus, still near and dear to my heart!
  • Nolen Smith

That would've been awesome. Do let me know when you in welly next and we'll definitely catch up for a pint!
  • Adrian Tayler

good idea, thanks mate.
  • James P

Thanks anyway Pete!
  • Adrian Tayler

Thanks for your efforts mate.
  • jt

I'm sure that you could channel her enthusiasm into something more appropriate - don't stifle her talent !
  • James P

Thanks Pete, I see Nolen has a bid on it!
  • Greig McGill

Hey Pete,

I thought so too but Ning wouldn't let me message you so I assumed not. Anyway, yeah, we're still in at this stage, though the US security idiocy has me seriously wavering. I think it's just us, you, and Luke. Geoff and Graeme Mahy are going to Chicago, but probably not doing the rest of the trip. I'll see Graeme in a couple of weeks so will see what he's up to then. Meantime, we should probably start planning.

Do you have a Google Wave account? Luke and I started a Wave to plan the trip, but it didn't get much love, since it was just us, and he's as busy as a ... brewer, I guess! :) If you don't have one, I'll send you an invite. Just let me know.

Cheers,

Greig.
  • Greig McGill

Just been chatting to my wife Alex about it. I'll talk to Luke tomorrow and see what the deal it. We're thinking it might be easier for everyone to just do their own thing and we all meet up in Chicago. What do you reckon?
  • Greig McGill

I did. He's having a hell of a time, with commitments left, right, and center. He started arranging his itinerary before xmas, and tells me he's had to call the poor travel agent almost every day to change something. The group trip has officially died. We've decided to save our money and go to Oktoberfest next year, via SF for a few nights.
  • Greig McGill

There's a Motorhome show here? :) The new craft beer bar, House, might be open by then on Hood Street, in the old Loaded Hog building. Failing that, there's Gothenberg - a great little tapas bar with Mata and HB Original on tap, and a very well chosen bottled beer list. I can also take you down to the Ruakura Campus Club for their three NZ craft beer taps, and one handpump. Not open on weekends though. You're also welcome over at mine, for a few quiets at the home bar. :)
  • Dale

Hey Pilgram,

Didn't you get a small 5L firestone keg off trademe last year? I'm after a replacement gas and beer post and thought he had some stuff kegs that I might be able to get fittings from but can't find a link to his trademe page.

Ta

Dale.
  • Reviled

Sorry bud just saw your comment now, thanks heaps :o)
  • Dale

Awesome thanks very much.
  • Greig McGill

No worries mate - you'll like it up here - there's a ton of keen SOBA people! I'll take you down the RCC and drag you round here for a pint also if you like.
  • Dale

Awesome thanks very much Pilgrim!!!!
  • JoKing

Here's some info that I have dug up for that yeast strain:

A great yeast for malt predominate ales. Produces light fruit and ethanol aromas along with soft, nutty flavors. Exhibits a mild malt profile with a neutral finish. Bright beers are easily achieved without any filtration. It is similar to our 1968 London ESB Ale but slightly less flocculent.

Attenuation 78-72%
    Alc. Tolerance 9%
    Flocculation high
    Temperature Range 64-72°F (18-22°C)
  • Greig McGill

Sure thing Pete - 021 753 026. I'll keep Thursday free. I'll try to drag you down to the RCC since House is still a week or two from opening!
  • Stu McKinlay

yep, he's right, the only thing is you pretty much have to drink the beer in a day or two. would that suit?
  • Stu McKinlay

The main commercial ideas behind the bag is two-pronged:
    1) One way shipping saves a lot of $ (and a bit of hassle)
    2) Because the beer is not going into a "contracted" chiller or through "contracted" lines it can essentially go into any bar/restuarant/cafe willing to purchase a handpump.

Your thoughts are theoretically correct but can you get the 100% O2 free in the beginning? Steve has done three weeks so there is some emperical eveidence to back up the theory. I didn't try the beer but completely trust his palate. from a commercial point of view I'd hope that a bagged beer of mine is gone within a few days in a bar setting (I reckon the bar owner would too!!!).

Do you want to blaze the trail anyway? If so, email me - shortened version my first name at soba.org.nz and I'll work something out with you. Slainte mhath.
  • Greig McGill

Great to meet you Pete. The only problem with April first is I'll most likely be in AKL celebrating Brewjolais Day as part of showing some coordinated SOBA love for Lion Nathan. It's also my 10 year wedding anniversary - I married a keeper! :)
  • Greig McGill

It's a little idea I had for SOBA to celebrate the good things one of our two large brewers does, by arranging a co-ordinated toast to Lion Nathan and to Brewjolais as a kind of press event. Details aren't finalised yet, but we aim to get enough SOBA members in each location Brewjolais is on tap on April 1 for said toast. Look for a public announcement/call-to-arms in the next day or so.

Haven't tried your APA yet mate. Will have a good swig later on today and let you know what I think.
  • Martin Bridges

I hope to make it along to the Steamship on Quay Street at a reasonable time so maybe I'll see you there. If not I'm sure there'll be another opportunity sometime.
  • Barry

Sounds great Pete, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
  • James P

Totally missed you comment about the tap handle.... guttered. I'll see if he relists it!
  • James P

If you want taps and pump I'm happy to pick up and courier it for you?
  • James P

Hey Pete

I'll call Matt tonight, or tomorrow to organise a pick up. Let you know how it goes.
    Cheers
    J
  • jt

Hi Pete, it was on the Hallertau website - but I see it's been revamped and can't see recipes
    I'll check my archives and let you know what I find
  • James P

Happy Birthday Pete! (Was going to reference your age, but thought better of it!)
  • Reviled

Happy birthday buddy, hope ya have a good one!
  • jt

Anything good & beery planned for the event ?

Anyways, have a good one, I'll have one (or two) for you tonight
  • JoKing

Hey Pete... We probable wont be back up there for a few more months now - sorry mate. Thanks for thinking of me though! Cheers!
  • Soren

Nice to meet you too mate, will let you know when I'm up and about your ways! Cheers
  • Tom Innes

Thanks for that. I have the loan of some gear from a mate from the uni brew club. We are going to have a crack on Saturday. After that I am thinking I will buy a 56 liter pot and add a tap and thermometer, make a bag and get into it. Thanks again!