Barry

Male

Whangaparaoa

New Zealand

Profile Information:

Favorite Beers?
why epic pale ale of course
Favorite Breweries?
Epic, Galbraiths, Hallertau, Emersons, Yeastie Boys, Numerous American and British micros (not in any particular order) and probably all quality craft breweries in New Zealand.
Favorite Bars/Pubs?
Galbraiths, Hallertau, Brew on Quay

Comment Wall:

• Dan

That they are Barry! i,d be pretty stuffed without it, well my rolling pin would be anyway!
    Nice work on the points Barry, Congrats for the win!
    Im hoping Hallertau has the facilities for decoction mashing, I fear the bock wouldnt be what it is without a double decoction, man am I glad I bought my recipe book with me, (just in case)!
  • Hopfull

Barry,
    Apologies but this is Richard's username and computer. I don't get to see it usually and relie on him to let me know what's up.
    I've just popped in on a cold wet Saturday morning so will get back to you
    Monday - kids waiting in car.....yada yada
    Chris
  • Hopfull

Barry,
    Monday morning and awaiting hot water to heat up so I can get on with
    a filter run and some tank cleaning.....

I'm not sure what problems you had with the Porter - but we are happy with where that's at at the moment. We picked up a heap of awards in Aussie last month and Porter got Silver.

However - the two beers I am trying to sort out are indeed the Old95 and the IPA. The main issue has been the yeast we are using, some issues with malt FAN on that yeast strain have not made for healthy ferments. There are other issues we have identified with bottling these two beers as well which complicate the situation too.

Here's what I'd like to do - We are changing the yeasts on these two beers and with the current hop supply situation also the hop recipes.
    I'd like to send you samples of both new recipes for your feedback and comment - A mixed case each time we tweak over the coming weeks - would you be happy to give feedback via email (prefer not the forum LOL) until we are happy with results?

Let me know

Chris
  • Dave

Yeah I'd be interested I'm in Hamilton was just about to go and buy a bottle so I could get some gas into that first brew and give it a proper taste tonight.
  • Dave

Hey Barry thanks alot for that but I think I will just get one from in town today it will be cheaper with petrol the price it is now
  • Tony

Hi Barry, Beer at Galbraiths, from 4pm.
  • Reviled

Hey mate, saw youre close to to Northcross, im just in browns bay mate, would you be keen for a swap when my AG batches are ready?
  • Reviled

Sounds good mate, look forward to hearing from ya.
  • Reviled

Hey buddy, wondering if I could ask for some help?

Ive been given the green light for $400 to spend on keggin gear, I know its not enough for a full proper set up, but it should get me going at least?

Going by the prices you said, this is what I think im looking at?

2 kegs : $150
    disconnects, fittings, beer line, picnic tap : $50
    Regulator : $120

And then that $50 part to convert the soda stream thing... Then im also looking at getting one of those chilli bin/magic box things for my initial set up...

What im wondering, is, how the hell do I do all of this? Im getting mega confused with everything! Can I get the disconnects and everything here? Or should I get everything from Craft Brewer along with the regulator?

And then, to be more of a pain, if and when I eventually obtain all of the above, I dont suppose I could crime you to come and give me a hand showing me how to do it all?

Cheers for your help so far mate
  • Reviled

Mate youre an absolute bloody legend! I figure it will most likely be easy once ive seen and done it myself, but im more of a hands on person and all the wording about disconnects and regulators and kpa and all that gets me really confused...

Id fully appreciate a list of what I need, that would make everything really easy mate :o)

Cheers heaps!! I must owe you a beer or two ;o)
  • Reviled

Yeah ive seen them complete aye, but ive got a mate whos pretty handy and a chilli bin we dont use anymore, so all id need in theory is a tap some sort of sealant and some hose pipe? Its just alot easier than trying to convince my other half that I need a full size fridge to convert ;oP
  • Reviled

Hey mate, I was looking at one on AHB

Basically plastic pipe, coiled like hardout so it fills the box, then I dont see why I couldnt use a picnic tap with it??

Another reason I want this box over a fridge first off, is im going away over new years for two weeks, and I would rather lug that and a keg instead of a shitload of bottles... But ill definately be getting a fridge in the future, just figured this would be a cheaper intial option, plus giving me the flexibility of it being portable... ;o)
  • Reviled

Thats pretty much why I figure I cant go wrong aye, at least if I have it as an initial set up, ill allways have it for travelling when I eventually get a fridge :o)

Do you reckon a picnic tap would work with a chilli bin?
  • Reviled

That seems the business ;o) Wicked! its all go then...

Look forward to hearing from you with that list mate...

Cheers
  • Reviled

Mate.... Absolute legend!!! Cheers heaps for all the info aye :o) Ill let you know when ive got most/all of the gear...
  • Kempicus

Cheers mate, Greig did ask me if i was going to now and i said exactly that...i do enjoy the challenge of wrestling a good beer out of extract though but i am thinking about moving on now to all grain :0)
  • Reviled

Hey mate, ive been nagging at SWMBO all weekend, looks like I will be going down the gas bottle path after all :o) hahaha

So I was wondering, where do you get the bottle for $200?

Cheers for all of your help mate, couldnt have done this without your help!
  • Reviled

Hey buddy..

Was just wondering, do you see me needing any extra fittings or anything to do a magic box as well as a fridge?

Cheers
  • Reviled

Guess what!!! Got a mate who can get SS coil for $15 a metre, and hes gonna bend it for me for free...

So fittings to attach the beer line, just a clamp or something would work I guess...

Cheers mate
  • Reviled

Mate :o( Youre not gonna believe it.. Just went to place my order, and Ross has run out of the Beer Disconnect...

What im wondering, they have another type there but can I use that one? Same price just looks like it has a different hose fitting? Or do I need to be patient and wait for more stock? (really want to take advantage of the good xchange rate)
  • Reviled

Cheers buddy, I rung them up and theyre gonna ship my order tomorrow with the quick disconnect as theyre getting them in today...

Man, im getting excited now :o)
  • Reviled

Hang on, the link you sent me for the beer out has a barb on it, thats the one theyve run out of? Should I be getting the MFL one?
  • Reviled

Sorry mate, just to confirm, im getting two MFL gas outs, two adaptors and a Barb beer out? Or should it be two MFL gas outs, an MFL beer out, and three adaptors?
  • Reviled

Oh true? Thats cool mate.. Sorry to peak out, im just super excited (as you can probably tell) Ill try to stop hounding you now ;oP

Man, I must owe you a few beers by now a? :o)
  • Reviled

Hey mate, good to see youre having a wicked time in aus! Im not green with envy or anything ;oP lol

Just wondering when youre back in the country?
  • Reviled

Hey mate, whens good to meet up this coming weekend? Are you all good to make a drive out to browns bay?
  • Reviled

Hey mate,

Thats fine, any days sweet apart from tomorrow.. Just let me know when... How much do you reckon postage will be for 12 bottles? Im sure I have a suitable box lying around somewhere...
  • Reviled

So we all go for tonight matey?
  • Reviled

Hey buddy

Not a prob, fridays sweet as... I may be going out in the evening, but were down a long driveway and the front door is hidden, so you can allways just leave em on the door step.. You cant miss my house, my orange car is right outside...
  • Reviled

No worries matey.. Let me know cos ill leave your beers out also...
  • Reviled

Hey man, I dont seem to have a suitable box for 12 750ml bottles, id have to do it in two packs which wont work well postage wise...

Do you have anything lying around? If not might have to tape two boxes together or something? :oP lol
  • Reviled

Yeah mate tomorrow night should be cool, ive got a mate coming round to help me wire my temp mate to my new 320litre chest freezer :o) Oh yeah! lol, so yeah, should def be home...
  • Reviled

Hey buddy,

Was good to finally meet you, sorry it was so brief...

Tried your beer, it was fantastic! Briallant clarity, not like my beers :oP lol, Nice and fruity, but not too fruity... What hops did you use? Oh, and it definately wasnt too flat!! So cheers :o)

Im going to post the case today...
  • Reviled

Hey mate

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3697&hl=yeast+farming

heres the link for how to on yeast farming, you should be able to get a heap of batches out of all that trub I gave you...
  • Dale Cooper

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was going to enter it into the brew comp but didn't know what category to enter it in. American Brown Ale sounds like it fits pretty well, thanks.
  • vdog

Hey Barry,

I hear you've got a twin hot water cylinder setup for your brewery and am keen to know a bit about it - what size cylinders do you use, and are they copper or steel? Thinking about going this way myself to up the volumes from the 50L vessels I have at present.

Any advice gratefully recieved.
  • vdog

Thanks for the advice mate. Yes, my gear technically does 50L, but I haven't been game to do any more than about a 40L boil which ended up just under 30L by the end. I figure if I go to a (say) 135L cylinder for the HLT I can always split the boil across the two existing gas-fired kettles (one converted keg with tap, the other just a big-ass 40L pot) and then combine (or not) in fermenters to make sure it's all consistent.

The major problem is having a brewing partner I have to split every batch with - volume is king!
  • vdog

Thanks for the info on the HWC thing a while back - we have now got most of what we need, set up with a 80L mash tun, 100L boiler, and will shortly have a (probably) 135L HLT. Looking forward to really getting it cranking - did a 45L batch a couple of weeks ago, but there's plenty of room to go bigger...
  • vdog

We were aiming for slightly more than 45L, but never mind... =) Assuming we get the other HWC set up in the next couple of weeks I think the plan for the next batch is to do around 60-70L!
  • Uriah Monos

yeah thats rite take your comment off
    HAHA
  • Uriah Monos

allrite man ill take my comment off aswell
  • Reviled

Hey mate whenever suits you, tomorrow? Drop us a txt
  • mike jay

sorry for the late reply barry. i'm going to try one can with malt instead of sugar then your two can idea. i'm trying to keep shit simple but will try steeping grain if that's what it takes to achieve the result. thanx heaps for your help mate.
  • Pilgrim

Hi Barry,
    I'll definitely be going to the Quay Street venue, so all being well I'll see you there.
    Cheers
    Pete.
  • Pilgrim

I'll have a present for SOBA members, first come first served ;-)
  • craig rothwell

Hi Barry, hope you've had a good week.  I've got a question for you if you've got a moment to answer.  I dry hopped my latest ale using pellets. Wish I hadn't now as the fermenter is got heaps of small bits of hop debri floating around.  I plan on kegging it tomorrow night.  Its in a secondary fermenter (glass carboy) at 20degrees.  Any idea of how to clear the beer.  Or will I just have to put up with heaps of floaties in my beer?  

cheers

Craig

• craig rothwell

Hi Barry, thanks for your reply.  I'll try dropping the temp to 5degrees and see if that helps the hops to settle out.  Do you use whole hops to reduce the amount of debri, or use a hop bag or similar to make it easy to take the hops back out?  

cheers dude

Craig