The Real Hawke's Bay

Who cares about wine...? Wouldn't you rather get together, drink good beer and swap recipes, ideas etc... Of course you would.
Load Previous Comments
  • Adrian Tayler

who? me?

• Nathan Murrell

I take it we are all still on for tonight? Where exactly do we find you Dermot?
    Did you manage to shake off that man flu Adrian? ;)
  • FatD

1769 Maraekakaho Rd

Few hundred metres past bridge pa township.. Past the golf course and aerodrome..

Yip all on.

• Adrian Tayler

thats a fair hike for me to go, drink and drive home again on a thursday night..... are you open in the weekends? might be best to bring the missus so she can carry me home..

• Fairlane

Adrian, that's another reason why I was offering you a ride....

• John Pagler

Looking forward to catching up with everyone. Steve and I should be arriving 7.15, bringing my son as well. I started him off on kits last year for his 23rd - irresponsible parenting! Does anyone know if Sparky is coming along?

• Fairlane

Unfortunately Sparky has a prior engagement.

• Nathan Murrell

Great night thanks guys! Awesome to try some other people's brews and get some feed as well. Going have to branch out now and try some other recipes. Thanks for your hospitality Dermot ;)
  • FatD

Yes, will have to branch out as well :o definitely good to try some beers. That 20% alc beer got me. Lucky didn't have to drive home! :)

Cheers,

• Steve Manning

I also really enjoyed meeting up with everyone. Great beers all round and heaps of top ideas and beer styles to think about - thanks Dermot.
  • John Pagler

Thanks for a good night Dermot, great venue and host with a good bunch of guys and beers. There is a wealth of idea's and brewing knowledge in the group which we should keep sharing around with nights like that. Keen to do that collaboration brew Dermot and I shall definately look around for some of those different yeasts we discussed. Cheers 

• Fairlane

Yeah a good evening with some good beers alright.  Now the trick is to keep the momentum going....

• Nathan Murrell

Yeah might have to figure out how frequently we can/want to do it so we can lock in a date early to avoid clashes as much as possible. Might also give us a chance to do similar styles and compare them, although doing that lightest to darkest was great to show a few styles. Still blown away by that 20%...sure I can still taste it in the back of my mouth haha

Hey Fairlane, any chance you could please flick me a Pils recipe to try??? Def one of my favorite styles so would love to give one a go.

Dermot...are you going to be selling grain? I'm just south of Havelock so your not far away.
  • FatD

Yes, lets look at Fairlanes 300 litre kit next month. When is it ready? :o

Thursday is quite good, as just one work day to go! lol

Ahh John, would be keen on an ESB or Scottish ale collab. Got all ingredients except for Pale Choc(only got dark). I think I have ordered yeast for scott, but would need ESB yeast. 70 litres is max I can make.. keg n 3/4 each. be keen on a Mexican at some point..

Ahh yer not interested in making a living out of grain, just heaps it ticking over, as freight is too expensive just for a couple of bags. I have to order 8-10 at a time..

$5 for overseas malt a KG
    $4 for Pale & Pilsener including overseas a KG ($3 for malterop pilsen this month)
    $6.50 for US05 & 34/70 Yeast 12gm packs(Can do any size you want). I package my own like Liberty, so some people might not like that. Always works for me though.

Got crazy stuff like Peated Malt, flaked Maze, Abbey malt, aromatic etc at the moment.

• Fairlane

Nathan, here is the guts of the recipe.  Easy as easy.

Well, except for the decoction part which is your worst nightmare  :))

My Pils Recipe

If you don't choose to do the decoction mash, try to do a step mash at least.

Other key factors - proper yeast starter preparation, yeast nutrient, ferment temp at 10-12 deg with diacetyl rest, and real important a couple weeks at 2 degrees in the bottle after bottle ferment.

• Nathan Murrell

Will do some research on the decoction...have read a little. Any sub for the riwaka since its hard to get?

Dermot - was just meaning for the odd purchase here and there, like you said it keeps your grain ticking over.

Would be interested on helping out with the esb brew...have tried a couple and become a bit partial to them.
  • Peter Youngquest

Nathan - I am going to be doing a decoction brew end of the week some time. Trying to put together a wheat doppelbock which is full bodied. Haven't tried decoction so far so very interested in the result. 

I am new to this group but am interested in getting involved in the regular catch ups if they continue.

• Fairlane

Nathan, you could try Pacifica for more german rather than bohemian style maybe...?

• Nathan Murrell

Thanks...haven't tried pacifia yet so might be worth a crack. Was going to grab a liquid pilsner yeast to try as well.

Where in the bay are you Peter? We had a great night last Thursday tasting some really nice beers. Pretty sure the meetings will continue
  • Peter Youngquest

In Hastings

• FatD

4:1 ratio of motueka to nelson sauvin they recommend for riwaka. I get Turkish delight and tropical fruit tho lol...

did 70 litres of Evil Dead Red :) smells fantastic. 300gm Amarillo 300gm centennial. No more Amarillo hops ha. recipe doesn't have any bittering hops. just flavour and aroma. so will be interesting! 1.066

• Nathan Murrell

Sounds great Dermot! Will have to get a space sorted out here so I can get a brew going very soon.

Was thinking of going this way as an easy/cheap upgrade from BIAB... http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/forum/topics/two-vessel-two-tier-br...

I already have 50L pot and was thinking of going 32L for a mash tun...pretty easy and cheap to source off TM. Just need to go source the fittings for each pot and get them fitted but the guy in the post suggested Blackwoods on Omahu Road.

You guys got any opinions? Anyone handy with tools that might be able to assist with fitting them?

Adrian...do you still have some pots sitting around? What size were they?
  • FatD

nah, wouldn't use pots, as you have to have 3 heating vessels. Way better to stick with 2 x 10 gallon picnic coolers as they stay at the same temp..

Use just one pot then..

• Nathan Murrell

I don't suppose you know someone that has a couple? ;)

Or the other thought is a chillybin mash tun...

• Peter Youngquest

@Nathan I did the decoction brew the other day. Little bit extra work but all seemed to go well. The wort was a deep brown colour. Have done the malt balance before and the wort wasn't quite so deep coloured. OG 1060 and happily doing its thing in the fermenter. Looking forward to the tasting ;-)

• Nathan Murrell

Will PM you Peter and exchange details...might swing by one day soon and meet you ;)
  • Nathan Murrell

YAY! Getting ready to do my first brew (well overdue and long awaited) in six months now life has settled down again...phew! Bit of a crack at a pale ale to try something new, going to be using cascade and motueka for this one but yet to formulate the hops additions. Thanks again Peter for picking that grain up for me ;)
  • Peter Youngquest

Go hard mate :-)

• Nathan Murrell

Yikes....plugged that grain bill into Brewmate and even with my low efficiency it shows as 1.069! Think I have a good mix of hops with cascade at 60 then a mix of cascade/ moueka at 10, 5 and 0. Oh well...time will tell..

• FatD

ha, yer think you're suppose to be around 1.050 for a pale for 20-30 IBU..

1.25 qt. of water per lb of grain for mashing

Think you only have to do 60, 15 and 0 for pale..

ha man did one other day forgot to recirculate and only got 1.04 instead of 1.05. Didn't have enough water either! lol

I'm ready for the next meeting. got 2-3 new beers :o 

• Nathan Murrell

Haha...easy to make mistakes. All part of the learning process.
    Looks like i'll get more than my 23l with this one then...already realised it was going to be too high so needs some rejigging before he morning.
    Yup...must start planning the next meet!
  • Nathan Murrell

Doh! False start this morning. Busy getting ready heating up mash water so it could do its thing while I went to town for lunch....but can't find my thermometer!!! Damn sister was last one to use it to try to sous-vide some whole eggs (which were really cool) Oh well....have a new bigger thermometer now and mash is doing it's thing. Those laundry bags are awesome Peter...heaps of room for 7kg grain
  • Peter Youngquest

how is the color and gravity?

• Nathan Murrell

Just got it all in the pot after a little sparging and about to come up to the boil....will sample it very soon. Can see the orange colour that you mentioned already though

• Nathan Murrell

Ooooh look...a new member. Welcome Andrew.

We must look at organising another session in the new year...who's keen?

• Steve Manning

I second that. Welcome to Andrew and lets meet again now that we have our tasting notes back from the SOBA competition. Merry Christmas to all
  • FatD

happy to host another one.. keen to try everyone's new beers.. Fairlane want to buy some ginga ninga and vintage porter next time you out this way :)

done a new English, Scottish, larger, red ale and pale ale since last one. finding it's getting a bit hard with the heat to keep below 21 deg :o

• Fairlane

Hmm not much of the Ginja Ninja left so you may wish to pop out my way if you're really keen....

• FatD

Anyone keen for a get together Thurs 7th Feb?

Also placing an order with Cryer malt early next week. Anyone want a full bag of o/s malt for $80 or NZ malt for $60.

still keen for some ninja :o

• Fairlane

Keen for another get together but maybe not on that date...  I really feel more like a lazy Sunday arvo type get together.

I can do one at mine on the 17th...? 

And there is only about 1 doz of the nija left....  I would have got some malt off you but I just got a couple of bags of Weyermans Pilsner.  Next time maybe...

• FatD

Yip. Can do the afternoon. What's the address? I can pickup some ninja then.

Got 11 bags of malt this week, so just about have most malts.. finally got some melanoidin and biscuit.

Just kegged a black ipa. was a bit hot in ferment last week though :(

cheers,

• Nathan Murrell

Hi guys, does anyone want some quart bottles? And a few other random ones. Have a couple crates free to a good home as we are packing up and heading south to the craft beer capital. Let me know ;)

• Fairlane

Hey guys... anyone going to Beervana and want to catch up.....?

• John Pagler

I am going to the Sat morning session and will also be in town Fri and Sat night (probably only in body sat evening!!)

• Fairlane

Hmm I'm going to sat eve session.  Couldn't do a morning one - it just doesn't feel right...

• John Pagler

A beer before lunch is great and some of the best ones may be gone later on. Will try and leave you some !!
  • FatD

Placing an order with Cryer malt early next month probably. Anyone want a full bag of o/s malt for $80 or NZ malt for $60.

Also, anyone want some specialty malts for $3 a kg next few weeks? Bring own bag :o Can mill if want. Not getting through the bags fast enough. Mainly using just base malts.

Text on 021 2722 737 if need anything or yeast. even got cider yeast.

• Fairlane

Hey Dermot, wouldn't mind a bag of the floor malted bohemian pilsner malt if you can.

Would be interested in what you have if you have a list...?

• FatD

what brand for the bohemian? Wyerman?

Golden Promise TF
    Marris Otter TF
    Marris Otter Bairds
    Pilsner WM
    Carapils WM
    Carahell WM
    Caramalt WM
    Crystal Light Bairds
    Crystal Light TF
    Crystal Med TF
    Crystal Dark TF
    Cara-Munich WM
    Munich Type I (Light) WM
    Wheat Malt WM
    Vienna Malt WM
    Aromatic Ding
    Chocolate Bairds
    Heavy Peated Malt Bairds
    Flaked Maize TF
    Roast Barley Bairds
    Abbey WM
  • Fairlane

Definitely weyerman

And from the look of that list I need to pay you a visit...  I'd like some of nearly all of that!