The Real Hawke's Bay

Who cares about wine...? Wouldn't you rather get together, drink good beer and swap recipes, ideas etc... Of course you would.
Load Previous Comments
  • Sparky

What about meeting up for a chat (skite about our brews) and beer at Provedore or perhaps Deanos when they open in Taradale. Otherwise I'm keen to meet up in a local somewhere.

Always a pleasure to have a catch up and have a beer with you jt.
  • jt

Deanos

It's probably 13 years since I had a steak at Deano's .. on the waterfront along from pizza hut in those days.

Provedore
    That wasn't the best Sassy Red las ttime I was there, but it's probably better than we get in Wellington nowadays ?

Maybe I could take a trip up in Spring - especially if there's a good steak in the off'ing
  • John Pagler

I am off this week if anyone is about for a beer. Reading down I notice August 14th has been mentioned, that is fine for me as well. My cell is 0275409522
  • Fairlane

OK well I don't know if enthusiasm for this is still there or not (and I have to go out of town on the 14th) so failing a better alternative I am proposing Sunday the 22nd sort of mid afternoon get together for a couple of quiet ones... Happy to use my place but if someone is dead keen to have the mess it at theirs then by all means....
  • Adrian Tayler

I am super keen mate, 22nd at your place it is. you are in Taradale right?
  • Jonathan Musther

22nd sounds good...
  • Briggs Brewery

22nd will be great. If you want a 2nd option for a venue my work has a bar that we can use.
  • Adrian Tayler

are we still on for this sunday??
  • Fairlane

Yep Sunday approx 1pm(ish) onwards at my place... you may want to bring a small bite to eat also as I not much of a chef...

Address is 77 Clarence Cox Cres in Pirimai, all welcome

See you all then..

Darrell.
  • Jonathan Musther

Sounds good, see you there.
  • John Pagler

Hi Guys, unfortunately I missed the last get together but I am back in circulation and in full production again. I know its short notice but does anyone fancy a beer this Saturday afternoon or early evening?
  • Fairlane

Just interested to see if anyone is contemplating going to the SOBA NHC Release Party in November... I'm probably going to go, but would be good to share the fuel bill.............
  • John Pagler

Any ideas where to get a temp controller to convert a normal fridge to a beer fridge with a range of about 8 -12 degrees?
  • Adrian Tayler

• John Pagler

Cheers Mate, it looks just the job
  • Nathan Murrell

Hi guys,

I've lived in Havelock North for last 8 years. Have just got into homebrew starting with kits (2nd one nearly ready to bottle). However I already have the urge to start doing some mashing. Thought I might start small with a BIAB and go from there.

Would love to see some setups if anyone has some good ones locally. Look forward to hearing from you.

• Adrian Tayler

I am always keen on a beer and brewing chat mate. a@garytayler.co.nz flick me an email.
  • Fairlane

Anyone get my email the other day...? 

If not I'm suggesting a catch up and sample session at mine in a few weeks or whenever suits.

• FatD

yer i'd be keen. Dermot

• Steve Manning

I'm keen too. I couldn't figure out how to reply to your last post. How about we all bring a bottle or two of our best brews for a tasting session?
  • Adrian Tayler

me too, spent about 20 mins getting frustrated trying to find how to reply... but yep im keen.

• John Pagler

Count me in, how soon are we talking about? I can do this Sat or the weekend of the 22nd of this month or the w/e of the 6th of Oct.

I agree about about the problems trying to reply but the link came straight to the right place today. Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

• Nathan Murrell

Hey guys I'd be keen too. Been out of the loop lately and not much time to brew. Last one sat in the ferm for more than six weeks!

Just depends on when... Hope it doesn't clash with my shifts.
  • Fairlane

ok well that's the last time I use the "Send Message to group"  function.  Sounds like it was a real pain in the ass.

15th of Sep is good for me.  how does that work...?

• Adrian Tayler

not for me... scallop festival on the 15th

• Fairlane

scallop festival...? wtf mate you can't drink those...........

22nd or any weekend after works for me I think

• Adrian Tayler

I will be washing those little suckers down in the brewery section mate...

yep, any other weekend is good for me..

• John Pagler

Lock in the 22nd then if that suits everyone?

• Steve Manning

Hi sorry I can't make the 22nd I have to take a group of students away on a tramp for the weekend to Waikaremoana. Shall we try a weeknight? If it suits everyone else don't let me muck you around.
  • FatD

I can also host a beer night. opening a brewpub at Abbey Cellars Winery this summer.. got a 100 litre kit. can do weeknights there..

also, looking to sell grain if anyone needs any. just building a big mill at the moment.

cheers,

• Fairlane

I'd be keen to scope that out sometime...

• Nathan Murrell

Working day shift on 22nd. Hey Dermot that sounds great, definitely interested in buying grains as saves shipping them down here. Been keen to look at your setup after seeing the pics a few months back. Might have to call in one day and have a peak if that's ok?
  • Steve Manning

Hi Dermot, I have been looking at your pics too I am very interested in looking at your kit as well. Chris and Darrel from Rosters have told me in the past that I should catchup with you. Maybe I could do it as the same time as Nathan? Fairlane you have some good pics of your kit too and I would like to see your setup. I am very happy to show anyone my brewshed anytime and or share my grain crusher etc. John Pagler and I catch up and share equipment and have tasting sessions.
  • John Pagler

Can we do 20/21 at your place Dermot? We could look at your kit and discuss the grain supply as well. Are you ok for either of those nights Steve? 

• Steve Manning

Hi, yes I can do the 20th ... If that suit others.
  • FatD

yup all good here. should have my monster grain mill up and running then. trying one of those 1 hp motors with it stepped down..

• Nathan Murrell

Yeah can prob manage the 20th as on days off...sounds like a plan. Can't do 21st. Fingers crossed it suits adrian & fairlane.
  • Adrian Tayler

all good here.

• Nathan Murrell

Well that makes at least 5 for the 20th so looking good. I assume that as well as looking over Dermots rig there will also be some tasting/sharing?
  • Fairlane

Well it's against my religion to drink on a Thursday, but maybe just this once...

• Nathan Murrell

I hope so Fairlane since it looks like its now six!
  • Steve Manning

It would be odd for a group of brewers to meet up without doing some tasting eh? I will bring a bottle (or 2) of something for us all to try - I challenge you others to do the same. (As long as it is OK with the host? Dermot?)

• FatD

ha, of course. bring as much booze out as you can..

I've only got a couple of taps. bought a flagon filler and 7 keg chiller, but haven't connected it yet.. wine barrels in the way :(

if want to do a collaboration brew at some time, would be good as well. so could talk about a potential recipe..

shame about the riwaka shortage eh. all my recipes used it ha. couldn't get any this year..

• Steve Manning

Excellent - looking forward to catching up with you all - So Dermot -  shall we set a time for the 20th and what is your address?

• Nathan Murrell

http://www.abbeycellars.com/default.asp?id=7 Here Steve.

Looking forward to it. Only have one beer on the go sorry due to family issues. It's kegged so can fill a 2L pet to bring along. Looking forward to trying some others ;)
  • FatD

After dinner I suppose unless you guys don't eat? :o 7:15pm if alright?

Feel free to bring kegs if you forget to bottle :o

• Nathan Murrell

Sounds good to me...have a young family so can get them and dinner sorted first. Been meaning to get a sodastream adaptor so I can be a bit more portable ;)
  • Steve Manning

Count me in, I will be there at 7:15.
  • Adrian Tayler

I picked up a nasty does of the Man flu from the Scallop festival so I am out of action at the moment, but hoping to bounch back by thursday... do we have an address?

• Fairlane

I can give you a ride if you want...