Wellington

Wellington, the beer capital of New Zealand! A place for Wellington residents (and wannabe Wellington residents) to share information and beer.
Load Previous Comments
  • Soren

Woohooo! gotta go to welly more often! See you all tonight I hope!
  • colin m

As we speak the Yeastie Boys Nerd Herder is now on handpump and the Paradox is pouring beautifully! Now we just need a rush on the Emersons Pilsner tap so we can get Hopwired IPA on.....
  • Glynn Foster

I can vouch for both of those - Nerdherder "B" the favourite for me on the first round. Unfortunately got scared away by Colin's mention that Hopwired was 7% odd ABV and bailed early to be sober enough when collecting the wife.
  • Dale Cooper

I whipped down to Hashigo Zake after work and can happily say that the Hopwired was as good as I hoped it would be :-) I'll get to Nerd Herder sometime soon, man there is a lot of beers to get around right now, itss hard to keep up!
  • Ally Mcg

Hi Wellingtonites

I'll be in WLG for the weekend and will be at a loose end tomorrow afternoon if anyone is keen to catch up for a pint. I was thinking Hashigo Zake, or Malthouse (or both)
  • Matthew

A few of us will be at The Malthouse from 12. When are you around?
  • Ally Mcg

Land at about then, luncheon date with the to-be mrs ally then onward for drinks from 1 or 2ish i guess. I'll be the skinny balding scotsman drinking on his own
  • Glynn Foster

So who's going to the Cinderella tasting at Hashigo Zake next week? :)

"On December the 15th will be our closest thing to a Christmas party - the Cinderella tasting. As much as we love all the beers we have in stock, some of them seem to get overlooked when you (and we) make our buying decisions. Some great beers from breweries such as Nogne-O, Baird, Brunehaut and Rogue fall into this category. This is going to be their chance to shine. Be prepared to be surprised at what we've been forgetting about all this time. And because it's Christmas, volumes for this tasting will be higher than usual and the price will be just $25."
  • David Wood

Hi Wellington people! Thought you'd like to know that Hashigo Zake has imported a stock of kegs direct from the Rogue brewery. We've got a good cross section of their range, from Dead Guy and American Amber through to Wet Hop Ale and Old Crustacean Barley Wine. These will be cycling through the taps over the coming months, with two taps now dedicated to Rogue beers. At the moment XS Russian Imperial Stout and Juniper Pale Ale are pouring. We've also got a few new Rogue beers in the bottle too - of course, fresh from the brewery. Cheers and happy new year!
  • Mike Neilson

Are you guys open today???????????
  • Dominic Kelly

Open by 4pm at the latest.
  • Beer_ledgend

Yeah, have been in Wellington now for 2 weeks, and I finally got a job.
    Now looking forward to catching up with fellow beer geeks.
  • David Wood

Hi Wellington. I recently stuffed up and forgot to get my grains crushed when I ordered them, so I've got 4kg of malt and no mill. Is there anyone in Wellington city with a mill I can borrow to crush it?
  • jt

I'm sure there's plenty of mills about, but people could be a bit occupied on such a good day. probably easiest to call your closest brewing neighbour
  • Dale Cooper

Dave, you can use mine on Sunday if you like.
  • Soren

I'm coming to Wellington for some tastings at Regionals Thursday and Friday next week (hope to see some of you there). Between sessions I will most likely be found at the Malthouse and Hashigo. Anybody keen for a couple of drinks?
  • Steph

Me please...Jonny and I will see you at the tasting Friday.
  • Mark Leddy

Hi all.
    So im about to embark on the great home brew adventure. I'm about to have a go at my first batch this weekend. But i just have one quick question for you. Is there anywhere in wellington to purchase glass bottles for my brew. I know i can use plastic but glass just seems a bit classier for some reason. Any suggestions?
  • Mark Leddy

Hi all.
    Just a quick update so far my home brew looks pretty good. Its fermenting away like crazy.

I was just wondering if are going to do anything for beervana at the stadium this weekend?
  • colin m

Hey Mark
    Liquorland Beer Fest is going to be fun on the weekend I recon with breweries like croucher, epic, tuatara, harringtons and Hofbrau to name but a few. The brewers guild are running education sessions during the day and there are some cool bands on too. Come say hi at the Malthouse stand.
  • Mark Kessell

hell yeah i'm going for sure.
  • David Wood

I'm going, mainly to see who the hell Kaimai Brewing Co is. Most mysterious brewery evar.
  • Simon David kelly

Bloody-hell, the BeerFest is this weekend??? Consider me "Mr Miffed of Featherston", we have guests over for the weekend .... grrrr.
  • Regional Wines and Spirits

Kaimai Brewing are producing Rye beers in some very snassy packaging. The Rye Porter iis defenitly worth trying.
  • Mark Kessell

dont worry simon. i'll have your share!!!
  • Stu McKinlay

I'll be there too... I've been growing my 'beerd' especially for it.
  • Simon David kelly

Thanks Mark ... I like stouts and IPA's ...

Shame I have to miss the Beerd .. I'd have enjoyed that ...
  • Mark Kessell

uummmmmm......
  • Mike Neilson

should be a fun Sat, What time does it finish?
  • colin m

Weerdie Beerdies.... next you will all be wearing Arran Knit sweaters and listening to free Jazz.... ;)
  • Stu McKinlay

Come see me at the BeerNZ stand. the password is "optimum ripeness".
  • Glynn Foster

Anyone know if you can get tickets at the door? I'm about 80% certain I won't be able to make it, but on the off chance I have some time I wouldn't mind dropping by.
  • Mark Kessell

7pm is cut off. and not a second later.
    and i hope so. were able to able to buy at the door last year.
  • Mark Leddy

Cool looks like there is a few of us. If i get a chance or i will pop over to the reel beer stand and introduce myself.

Hopefully they have that Russian beer there again. I loved that stuff last year
  • Mark Kessell

i'm helping out in at the brewers guild stand so i'll be hovering around there probably.
  • Mark Leddy

I'll be the slightly intoxicated tall ginger with a beard :-)
  • Mark Kessell

you wont be the only one
  • Mike Neilson

What ginger with a beard? I know one other!!
  • Michael Andrewartha

Definitely looking forward to the festival. But I'm prob going to be wasted by the time I get there as I'm doing the Karapoti in the morning :-) Anyone else in the same boat?
    Will not miss the outside venue this time, however the people that bought wetsuits and body surfed on the mud were a laugh.
  • Mark Kessell

you haven't dyed your hair have you mike?
  • Nolen Smith

I'll be there as well... first big outing for me since the baby was born on the 12th.... *really* looking forward to it!
  • Mike Neilson

Mate I have no hair and I couldnt grow a beard even if I was part Orangutan!!
  • Michael Andrewartha

Hi Mark, nope haven't dyed my hair at all
  • colin m

I just read over the stallholder briefing and unless it has changed (as it did in AKL), last orders is at 7pm and alcohol service ceases at 8pm.
  • Mike Neilson

Congrats Nolen what you have? Next up Colin aye?
  • Nolen Smith

Thanks Mike, had a wee girl! Unfortunately for her, she apparently looks just like me. Other than that, her and Mum are doing great!

I have noticed that my beer consumption and brewing has dropped drastically over the past two weeks, hopefully I can sort that soon.
  • colin m

Yes indeed, little Stella Artois Mallon is due in about 4 weeks.

...only kidding about the Stella bit.... its actually Lagunitas ;)
  • Nolen Smith

I was hoping for a boy so I could name him Firestone Walker Smith... oh well.
  • Glynn Foster

We had Emerson lined up for a boys name, but then a little girl graced us with her presence. No brewing at all right now and missing it badly!
  • Nolen Smith

Congrats Glynn! I knew you guys were due recently and wondering how it was going. When you start brewing again, watch out for the 'baby brain'. I've already emptied a just refilled D size bottle of CO2 by leaving a valve open on the manifold. Doh! My first fill lasted 14 months, the refill lasted 14 days.