Clone Brews

Group to facilitate the brewing and creation of recipes to brew clones of commercially available beers.

Please start each clone recipe as a new discussion in the discussion forum so we can find recipes when searching

• Paul D

Hi there has anyone had any luck in cloning Panheads Super Charger? What a beer?

• Ralph

I don't know anyone who has tried Paul. Why not start a discussion in this group asking the same thing and see if anyone comes along with some information? If nobody is finding/contributing to the discussion in this group I would suggest putting a post out in the main forum asking for help to clone the beer and linking the discussion in this group.

• Crusader-Rob

While i haven't tried to clone it, I recently brewed a beer, that actually reminded me of it somewhat. not a clone but maybe a good starting point.

check out my recipe here: http://brewtoad.com/recipes/mountain-warrior-pale-ale
    I'm not overly experienced with tasting etc. but its a nice tasty brew, so feel free.

• Tadd Clayton

It's not often I get to taste different vintages of a clone. Back in October 2011 I brewed a malt extract based clone of Thomas Hardy's Ale (recipe from Clone Brews). I've only ever had one bottle of genuine Thomas Hardy's but it seemed like a pretty good clone to me, particularly once it had aged a few months. It's got a really nice aroma which reminds me of dates and raisins, a little of the alcohol heat (estimated ABV 12%), plenty of mouthfeel, and a lovely malty character, Definitely a good winter beer. In July I brewed another batch to the same recipe. I've just cracked a bottle of each for a comparison. The new version is certainly showing promise and  I think it will only get better. The aroma is less of dates than vanilla but other characteristics are very similar. Both have a malty sweetness. The recipe is:

10.5Kg light liquid malt extract

0.66Kg British Crystal Malt

70g British Peated Malt

105g Northern Brewer (9.8%) @ 60 min

35g Challenger (8.08%) @ 45 min

35g East Kent Goldings (4.5%) @ 2 min

Dry hop with 35g East Kent Goldings (4.5%) during secondary fermentation

11g Lallemand Nottingham Ale Yeast

Lalvin EC1118 Champagne Yeast after 3 weeks of secondary fermentation

Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast 3 days before bottling

O.G 1130

F.G. 1042

• Buster Bunting

Helllo,

Has anyone attempted a clone of GPs Pernicious weed?
    or know the final gravity?

• Crusader-Rob

Ooooooh Nice idea buster.

Lovely beer that.

Might I suggest you start the process? Its all NZ hops I think.