Mt. Maunganui Brewers

Wondering if any home brewers in the mount area would like to start a group, perhaps a monthly tasting/discussion would be fun.......
  • Rhyno

I'd be keen, would love to mingle with some like minded folks. Sadly the wife just doesn't get into the whole craft beer scene :)

• mattd2

Sound like an awesome idea. Got our 3rd child due in a couple of weeks but should be able to get out for a beer or two.
  • Scott Lyon

Hi Matt, Thanks for the interest , look forward to meeting you.

What sort of brewing are doing?

• mattd2

Not much at the moment, just piecing together stuff to get fully into all grain. Just got my keggle back from the shop so now I have to wire up the element and should be ready to go.

What about yourself?

• Scott Lyon

We are doing all grain BIAB in a 40 L electric urn at the mo, Have done 6 brews and the beer is proving so popular that we have been forced to start building a bigger kettle. Two kegs welded together with a water jacket for cooling, have a look at my pics to see the beginnings. We mostly like brewing pale ales but have also done a stout and a porter.
  • mattd2

Yeah I saw your photos, was wondering what you were doing. That thing looks like it will be pretty sweet, Are you going with an LPG burner or electric? I'll have to try get a chance to upload some of my photos onto here.
  • Scott Lyon

Going to go electric, 2 or 3 2200w stst elements, think it will be easier than gas, getting the elements from an australian home brewing site. Probably end up cheeper set up and running costs too. We are aiming for 50L in bottles from each brew, might have to lift the bag out with a block and tackle, and top up with water to get that tho. Also going to try a water jacket cooling set up around the keg instead of immersion chiller, not sure if the stst will conduct heat well enough but we can always fill it with foam and go back to immersion.
  • mattd2

Sounds intense, 50 litre BIAB would be a killer bag but awesome!

Just finished wiring one (or half depending how you look at it) of my 3-heat elements up tonight and the test is going good. Pay day today so I'll have to try get some supplies ordered for a brew. Baby might be out tonight so might be a bit tire over the next few weeks but hopefully find a bit of time to brew!

• Scott Lyon

Nice one , good luck with the baby!

• mattd2

Baby came yesterday morning at home (planned!), the keggle was there ready and waiting with 40 litres of hot water if needed.

Another package came yesterday as well, grains from Brewshop.co.nz, so I am looking at bewing a 10 lb 10 oz grist Red ale to celebrate soon!

• Rhyno

Congrats Matt, nice to see you went with the home birth, we did the same.

Look forward to catching up for a drink or two :)

• Scott Lyon

Congratulations! 10 lbs 10oz thats a biggun! Boy or girl?
  • mattd2

Cheers guys. We got a boy this time around, our first son. Got 2 girls already so the family starting to balance out now.

Our first home birth, pretty awesome experience.

• Scott Lyon

Hi guys, Just posted some pics of our new larger BIAB kettle and chiller if anyone interested, still waiting for the thermometer so haven't brewed in it yet, also got some 30 mm foam insulation to go around it yet, busy time for us at the mo, otherwise we would have organized a meeting already, sorry about that ! But we'll get there soon. 

Cheers 

Scottie

• Braden Rowson

Hi guys, new to brewing but definately got the bug now.  Been doing extract brews for the past six months and now looking to go full grain.  slowly getting my kit together with a mate and keen to learn all I can and get any advice that would be helpful from those who have refined their process.  Was wondering if you guys would be keen on doing a case swap?

cheers Braden

• Reviled

Hey Braden, my advice mate, have a read of my PDF on how to BIAB found here -http://brewerscoop.co.nz/biab.html

Then, once youve started brewing AG beers, why not enter the full national case swap?

• Scott Lyon

Hi Braden, As you can see this is only a new group and we haven't met yet but Im sure we could give you some tips to get you going, personally I have only done BIAB brewing (10 brews or so). We found it surprising how easy it was to get good results using this method, even with no experience. Other folk seem to like our beers too, (so it's not just rose colored glasses!) 

We are also keen to do some swaps, will try to organize it when we all meet up. In the mean time good luck with your gear! 

Scottie

• Scott Lyon

OK, We have finally got organized ! Sunday arvo the 11th of sept. for the inaugural Maunganui brewers tasting! We know that home brew doesn't travel that well so we are happy to put on 4-5 different beers we have brewed for everyone to try, however feel free to bring some of your own brew to share,only if you want to. Just come along and we can all meet and have a chat about what we are up to, You can also have a look at our equipment such as it is! 

If someone else is keen to host a similar event next month then we can organize it then. This is what it's all about! Grassroots brewing!

Please post if you are keen and can make it so we know how many will be there. 

Cheers

Scottie

• Rhyno

Keen as hell bro. Stocks are just about out, but will  bring along a couple of bottles for the cause :)

Just let us know what time and where

• Jaimes Booth

Sounds good. Three World Cup Rugby matches on the 11th, but beer comes first in my books. I'll bring some of the latest brew. An extract brew, I am afraid. It will be about three weeks shy of it's six week bottle conditioning.
  • Scott Lyon

The inaugural meeting of the Mount brewers group went well on sunday, nice to meet Jaimes and Ryan, seven different beers got sampled and enjoyed and we all checked out some recipes and swapped a few ideas. We were all keen to do it again at a later date, so watch this space and hopefully we can get some more of you guys along!

Cheers

Scottie

• mattd2

Gutted that I didn't get there, was up in Auckland with the family. Sounds like it was a good time. Just got an Irish red ale done last week so hopefully that will be ready for next meeting.

Cheers

• Jaimes Booth

Thanks Phil and Scott for organising and hosting the inaugural meeting. I was very impressed with the quality of the brews and inspired to give Brewing In A Bag a go. Looking forward to the next meet.

P.S. The La Trappe we sampled is brewed by a subsidiary of Dutch brewery Bavaria, not Heineken. Sorry to have misled.

• Scott Lyon

Hi Guys, been busy lately so the brewing has mostly been on the back burner. Did get a chance to finally try out the double keg set up last friday, all seemed to work well, a little slower to get to mash temp than the last set up but still got 50 L into fermenters in under 5 hours, we may be able to shave that down a bit too. Did a APA, 10 kg golden promise, 1kg med crystal, 1kg munich, 66 L of spring water heavily hopped with Hallertauer, Amarillo and Styrian goldings. It came in at 1.050 and is bubbling away nicely. What is everyone else up to??

Cheers

scottie

• Jaimes Booth

Hi guys,

I now have a 20L pot for BIAB.

First all grain attempt was a learning curve. I pitched from a previous yeast cake, throwing it all in. In hindsight this was over pitching by about three to five times. On the upside I have had excellent attenuation going from 1.078 to 1.008 in a week. However, it initially tasted sour enough to indicate an infection. But this seems to be mellowing out.

What do you think? Drink it before it gets worse or let it mature and see where it goes?

I also planted a smoothcone and a "German" hop from fragrantgarden.co.nz. There may be rhizomes to share next year!

Have ordered ingredients for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale "Gulden Draak" clone. I hope this one is more succesful.

• Scott Lyon

Sounds awesome ! Put me down for some rhizomes next year ! Don't know about your sour brew, It might get better later on, worth  a wait.
  • Jaimes Booth

Hi guys. When is the next get together? I am happy to host it at my place in Hairini. I have some of the aforementioned Gulden Draak clone "cellared" (that is in a box in the laundry) and I am keen to taste your brews.

• mattd2

Just got a message on the other forum I frequent from a new brewer in Papamoa so I've pointed him this way. I'd been keen to meet up soonish (hopefully I'll be in town this time round!). It might turn into a Belgian theme as last week I bottle what I will most likely call (if it turns out any good) my Burnt Foot Tripple - gave myself a nice burn on my foot making candi sugar!

Also would anyone be keen for a Mt case swap? Should I make another discussion on here for it.

• Jaimes Booth

Hi Matt,

I'm always keen to sample independent beer, particularly anything Belgian style. So a case swap sounds like a good idea. How does a case swap work exactly? I don't know if you should start another discussion.

What yeast did you use for your triple? Was the other forum you frequent beer related? If so what's it called?

• mattd2

Hey Jaimes,

I should stop talking up this "Tripple" as it was more of a experiment in making candi sugar. I just used T-58 on it so it won't really be anything special but the sample I had during bottling was pretty good. Basically it was just NZ pilsner malt and candi sugar with T58! I'm trying to wait at least a month (3 more weeks) before trying 1 and then another month or 2 before actually getting stuck in to them... of coarse it is proving hard when I have no other beer in the house!

For the case swap it seems to work by everyone puts in 1 bottle of beer per person in the swap then everyone gets 1 bottle of every other persons beer to try. Migth be a good thing to try and organise with the meet ups so that even those that don't make it on the day still get to share their beer.

• mattd2

The other forum was www.homebrewtalk.com, US site but a lot of good (and some not so good) information.

• JumpR

Gidday all, have started brewing recently and would be keen to catch up with other like minded folks in the area.  I am based in Pyes Pa.  I am just about to get into BIAB - does anyone know where to get copper tubing locally - I want to make an IC.  Cheers, jumpr.

• mattd2

Hey Jumpr, welcome. If you can wait a bit Brassman123 (I think that is his username on Trademe) sells of copper tube cheap at the end of month usually.

• JumpR

Cheers Matt.  He had some for sale, buy now used, no more ice baths for me!

• Rhyno

So is anyone else coming to this craft beer fest this Friday at Farmer Motor Group?

Craft%20Beer%20Event%20Invitation.pdf

• mattd2

Was looking at it yesterday, but I have to go over the hill for work and won't be back till after it is over! Might have to use the $80 to buy a few craft beers to drink on Friday night instead... wait payday is not till Saturday, damn!

• Leon Lyttle

Hi every one! I'm keen as when it comes to brewing beer, have extract brewed off and on for years but switched to all grain about 18months ago and haven't look back again, would love to have some locals to ask advice instead of trawling the net for answers all the time, that's if you will have me.
  • mattd2

Hey Leon,

Welcome to the group! If you are keen to catch up, usually a few of us grab a beer down at either Brewers bar or Mount Brewing Co. at the mount once a month. Next one will be in a few weeks, Thursday 4 July. You are more than welcome to come along.

Cheers!