Clone Brews

Group to facilitate the brewing and creation of recipes to brew clones of commercially available beers.

Please start each clone recipe as a new discussion in the discussion forum so we can find recipes when searching

Panhead Port Road Pils

Bit late to the party, I've only just around to trying this beer but I really enjoyed the six-pack I grabbed last weekend! To me it was the perfect hopped-up pilsner with just enough hop flavour without pushing it towards mini-IPA territory. I'd be pretty happy if I could brew something similar for an easy summer beer.

I couldn't find much about it, other than [url=http://www.glengarrywines.co.nz/items/91918/panhead+port+road+pilsner+%28500ml%29]this[/url]; "A classic Kiwi hop style of passionfruit and grapefruit - like a beer version of your New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Also, made with a hybrid of New Zealand and German malts."

I've never brewed with lager yeast before and I'm not really set up to do so, but I can do a fairly constant 16-17C thanks to a heatpump in a downstairs bedroom so I'm going to go with something like Danstar Nottingham and try keep the ferment as cool as possible.

For the grains, maybe mostly NZ pilsner plus a touch of carapils, but where does the "German" bit come from?

And hops, passionfruit and grapefruit sounds like Motueka and Riwaka to me. Spread through the boil with moderately generous late additions and a small dry hop.

I haven't put the numbers into beersmith yet, just brainstorming post-nightshift. Does anyone know how friendly are the Panhead guys about sharing info??

Load Previous Replies
  • up

David R

Well, no prizes for guessing which one is mine! :D

I got impatient, running low on easy summer beers, it was brewed 15 days ago and has been in the keg for 24 hours. I'm certainly keen to try it again with a true lager yeast once I'm set up for fermenting cold. The flavour is heading in the right driection, mine is far too hoppy (might mellow with time) and the colour might be a touch dark if it was clear. And next time I might just skip the dry hop and use a generous late addition.

It would get absolutely slaughtered in a competition, but once it's carbd up I'm sure going to enjoy it!

• up

Neal

My Port Rd Clone. Pretty simple -

23L batch

4.3kg Pilsner

0.6kg Vienna

0.25kg Gladiator

100g Motueka (split 60/30/10/0min)

25g Riwaka (split 10/0min)

100g Sauvin dry hop for 5 days

2xSaflager S-23

1.050 to 1.009

Fined with gelatin

Used the Brulosophy lager method; brew day to drinking within 3 weeks, and came out awesome. Clear as anything from the bottle-store. Crisp and clean flavor, quite fruity with citrus and passion fruit. Will definitely be brewing this one again.

(As to whether it is an accurate copy of the Port Rd, I'm not entirely sure. I was brewing it for my wedding, and the whole lot was drunk on the night so didn't get a chance to do a proper comparison).

• up

cjmc

Just adding an update to an old conversation..  

I see that Wagon brewing has a clone kit for this (see  http://www.wagonbrewing.co.nz/panhead-port-road-clone ),  I see the use of carahell instead of carapils plus a more of a hop schedule.