Christchurch case swap #3

Post your recipes in here

Black IPA

5.8 kg gladfields pale, 450g crystal 40l, 230g carafa 2, 230g crystal 120l, 110g roasted barley, 28g pacific gem 60min, 28g cascade 30min, 28g centennial 10mins, 28g zythos and 28 g centenial at zero mins, us-05. 23litre batch, 1.063sg and 1.018fg 60 min boil and mash
Load Previous Replies
  • up

Stewy

Pours black, of course. Small light tan head. Slight fruity aroma. Tastes of hoppy bitterness followed by a malty sensation in my mouth. This is just what I like. For me, I like malt. Added with hops it creates a great beer. Well done James. Have we met?

• up

Julie Fitzjohn

Hi James. I managed to pick up some bug that made me feel nauseous just in time for GKBF :-( which ruined that and made me slow to get to the case swap also

appearance lovely dark beer with ruby highlights, nice tan head, hangs around

aroma - too late to catch the hops :-(. I get some malty sweetness, touch of fruit

taste - charcoal on sweet malt, bitterness at end. not particularly picking up the alcohol but maybe a wee fruity ester?

mouthfeel - nice body, smooth beer, carbonation seems spot on

overall - so I am drinking it much to late to appraise it as a fresh IPA. I think though it does sit between styles a bit because there is a lot of malt going on. I reckon if you have any spare you should hold a bottle back for three months and have it a bit warm in winter and see where the malt build gets to - I think you might enjoy it as a junior stout...I am enjoying it now, I just wouldn't want anyone to ask me which style to put it in.  cheers

• up

oliver

Bl on the cap.

Appearance: black with a white/tan head, solid fluffy with some bigger bubbles.

Aroma: coffee, little plastic as it warms up, not a lot of hop aroma. 

Flavour: classic black ipa malt character, little bit of roast up front which fades to hop flavour and bitterness. Not a lot of hop in the nose, beer is still cold. Nice dry finish. Bit of lingering ashy bitterness which is slightly astringent, pretty minor though. Hops are coming through a bit more as it warms up, nice and citrusy.

Body: spot on, carbonation is bang on too.

Overall: Great beer, well brewed, really enjoyed this one. Only improvement for me would be to try get the hops to jump out a bit more and maybe cut back the roast barley a tad unless you want to go in the pkb direction in which case you're pretty close. 

What yeast + mash temp did you go with on this one? (I'm struggling to get my beers to attenuate properly atm).