Christchurch case swap #3

Post your recipes in here

Ross NZ WAI-ITI IPA

I wanted to brew an IPA with Wai-iti so that the Wai-iti was the main hop as I have never used it before. 

Brew in the bag

Grain 

4.5kg Pilsner Malt

0.5 Light Crystal 

0.2 Carapils

Hops

5gr Wai-iti 60min

15g Wai-iti 15min

5g Cascade 15min

5gr Rewaka 15min

20g Wai-iti 10min 

10g Cascade 10min

5g Nelson Sauvin 10min

10gr Wai-iti 5min

10g Cascade 5min

10g Rewaka 10min

15g Wai-iti Flame out

5g Rewaka Flame out

5gr Nelson Sauvin Flame out

40gr Wai-iti Dryhop after 7 days on the yeast

20gr Cascade Dryhop after 7 days on the yeast

5gr Nelson Sauvin Dryhop after 7 days on the yeast

37g Wai-iti Dry hop after 8 days on the yeast 

20g Cascade Dry hop after 8 days on the yeast 

Mashed in 67 deg

Mashed out at 78 deg for 10 min

Pitched at 18 deg for 7 days, then 7 days at 21 deg. 

Kegged after 14 days on the yeast, bottled after one week in the keg. 

OG 1.052

FG  1.016

19L batch

60 min Boil

Load Previous Replies
  • up

Stewy

Pours golden with slight haze in the glass. Good carbonation. Slight fruity aroma on the nose. The taste is slightly grassy with taste evidence of stonefruit. Slight bitterness and a good session beer you could drink a lot more of. Well done Ross.

• up

Julie Fitzjohn

Hi Ross, Much too slow getting to this beer as missed case swap then sick then away for work.

appearance - nice golden colour, not much head

aroma - bit of nice hops but I suspect a shadow of former self

taste - I really enjoyed this. it clearly isn't what it was the hop mix seemed lovely and I imagine when there was more of it, it was super

mouthfeel - carbonation has obviously dropped

overall - Ross even past its best I can see this was a tasty beer. I haven't managed to get to Riwaka or Wai-iti yet but the hint of what this beer was like makes me feel a bit like plagiarising it. Couple of questions - which yeast did you use and why the pilsner as a base malt? I saw pilsner suggested as base malt for sierra Nevada clone and wondered what benefits of that are over pale malt? cheers  Julie

• up

oliver

Aroma: Fruit, little musty basement

Appearance: Light golden, great head, fairly clear with a touch of haze.

Flavour: nice hop hit up front, slightly strange almost peppery finish. Low-med bitterness, could use a few more IBUs to be in the american IPA type category. 

Body: light-medium body, nice carbonation

Overall: solid base recipe for IPA, depending on what you're going for it could use a few more IBUs and some more hop aroma/flavour, very nice beer though.