Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just a quick question, I pitched US-05 for the first time last night into a 20L brew and wondered how long it should take at the outside (at around 20 to 22 degrees C) to register action in the airlock? It's always a relief when you see that fermentation is underway, but I guess different yeasts might have different tendencies in this regard.

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always rehydrate the yeast and aerate the wort. US-05 usually starts bubbling after about 12 hours for me @ 19-20c. 24 hours at the most.
Yeah. Be sure to give the fermenter a good shake to get plenty of air into the wort. A good sign of fermentation is a build up of bubbles and trub at the top of the fermenter - this happens a good 6 hours before the airlock starts to move... Then again - I dont even use Airlocks that much... and these are the types of indicators that I look for.
Thanks guys. I did actually re-hydrate the yeast before pitching as you say so it has only been just over 12 hours. I gave it a good stir and slopped it about with a paddle to aerate when I pitched the yeast but haven't wanted to open the lid again to check inside for action and you can't tell very well through the fermentor side. I'm being a bit paranoid because it was my very first full mash and it was quite a day yesterday, so I'm pretty keen for it to work! I don't suppose you want to go shaking the fermentor now?
Cheers,
Ian
How long did you hydrate for?

I've found with dry yeasts if you rehydrate for too long, even as long as it says on the packet, that you get slower take off times. I believe it's to do with the yeast waking up, seeing there's no food, then going back to sleep again.

Anyways, I never start worrying until 48h.
Thanks again guys, I had a yarn with Ross at Craftbrewer in Aussie this AM (I got the yeast from him) and he said I shouldn't be fussing before 48 hrs as you say. Interesting what you say about the yeast because I did probably prove it a little long (went for a beer after my first day of AG brewing!) Ross says that one can really just pitch without the proving?
Anyhow, still no action yet, so we'll see tomorrow.
Cheers,
Ian
You can pitch without proofing, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut from what I've read the osmotic pressure from the sugars in the wort can kill some cells. How many? I'm not sure.

I recently just pitched one sachet of S05, proofed in warm tap water for about 10 mins then pitched, had activity within 24 hours, shorter proofing time is the key I reckon.
? The pitching instructions on the pack say to sprinkle into the wort. I just do this - I have to force lag times with a cool pitch! if the temp is 25 like it says on the pack - it is off in 6 hours. 16degrees pitch (sprinkle) gives me 24 hours which is what I like. Lag times are good if you ask me. Rapid ferment and growth makes hot alcohol in my experience.
Sorry, I meant 'in the PDF on their website' not 'on the packet' :-P I thought there were hydrating instructions on the packet.

Yeah, I think short lag times are kinda hyped. Just because there's no visible fermentation doesn't mean nothing is happening.
You're the man Glen. I hate second guessing people. Sorry! You do what you wanna do... so long as it works for you, who am I to say any different!

Direct pitch works fine for me - I'm comfortable doing it like that... beer still tastes fine... one less thing to worry about!

Cheers y'all.
Actually it's not working for me haha.

For about 15 brews I was rehydrating to Fermentis' instructions on their website, as I've heard from a lot of people that it's the way to go. I was getting lag times of about 36h, not a biggie but I would have preferred it to be around the 24h mark.

I brewed a 1.038 ale with S04, direct pitch, (visible) activity in about 20 - 24 hours.

Then brewed that APA/IPA, 1.054, rehydrated 15 mins warm water, then 20 - 24 hours as well.

So now I'm going with short rehydration now for anything over 1.040 and just direct pitch with under.
My yeast lives! Plenty of action this morning, so I reckon Denimglen had it right and I loved the description, "the yeast waking up, seeing there's no food, then going back to sleep again." It says it all it seems and I've learned something about longer pitching times.
I don't know whether you remember your first AG brew, but I'll bet you do - it would be like other 'firsts' in your life - you don't forget them good or bad. Anyway, I'm a happy wee lad because this was mine and however the beer turns out, at least it'll be fermented.
I'm told that there has been huge development in dried yeasts in the last few years that have obviated many of the older problems and practices, but I guess for folk who are veteran brewers, old habits die hard and one does what one is comfortable with when it comes to using the stuff.
Thanks.
Good for you Ian. Congrats on your first AG batch. I hope she was worth it ;-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service