Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I made the assumption that my grain order would come in separate bags if I didn't specify. The shop put them all together. Normally I wouldn't care but I put in 5% sour grapes (acid malt) and was only going to  add it all id PH was still high after adding a say 3%. Brewing an APA with gladfield ale as basemalt. Should I just do it or is it likely to add off flavours. It was going to be a 23L brew on a 40L rig so I could up size to dilute.

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Na I don't know my water profile, when I talked to the council they weren't very helpful, something about having several different bores and not being able to tell me where my water was coming from at any given time.

I haven't even measured the PH before. I have a new PH meter and was going to have a play with different amounts of acid malt, but the mixing of the grains has put an end to that.

You info form McLeods is encouraging. As far as I am aware most NZ water is slightly alkaline as is Galdfields base malt (or maybe its just less acidic than others) so I suspect some acid would be needed to even get to 5.4. I'm really more worried about that vomit aroma of lactic acid being perceptible in the brew than I am about the PH.

How much baking soda would you use to raise 0.1 PH?

Might have to do that

Someone pointed me to the regional councils water report and PH of 7.99 if its the bore I think I'm on and looks like it could use a little gypsum

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service