Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

anyone made Cider from Frsh up? it seems to be 100% Apple Juice. any other good options for cider from store bought juice?

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A while back I made some from signature range apple juice (the clear juice, not the cloudy one) and got pretty good feedback for what it was. From memory it was approx. 12 litres of juice and extra sugar (maybe 3 kgs?). Fermented out really dry, below 1.000 and then carbonated it in a keg (I think - it was that long ago). Give it a go - for the effort and expense (I think I got the juice on a real good special - under $3 per 3 litre bottle!) it is worth the experiment :)

Not used Fresh Up, I will be using Just Juice soon as I find some fermentor space.

What ever you use look for any additives you don't like the sound of, if none use it.

I think i'll just let it ferm out, and use a low attenuating yeast strain.

possibly workhors from mangrove jacks. that will keep some sweetness.

Stir in some Stevia before you carb... or boil a small amount apple juice to get longer strain sugars the might not ferment... gonna try that next time.

can you post a recipe for your apple cider mate? it shouldn't be any different if I'm bottling eh? I love cider in summer, got to start planning my next brew, I do have one recipe but it doesn't use apple juice, it uses something else... plus hops!!

Well mine is a fruit/berry Cider from what ever I have left over in the freezer...

5 * 2.8L Apple and Pear Just Juice (pour into fermenter), put 1Litre of the apple/pear juice in a pot and boil for 15minutes... add this back in when done, you don't need to chill it.

About 1/2 to 1 cup of brown sugar, stir in.

What ever berries are left over in the freezer... mine will be about 500g passion fruit, 1kg raspberries and a can or two of pear quarters.

1 packet of Mangrove Jacks Cider yeast.

Leave for at least 10 days to fermen, probably 2+ weeks and it will clear nicely for you.

Rack into a keg (syphone through a bazooka screen to get rid of the berry bits) into a secondary or keg.

Add sweetener as required to taste.

I would let this stand for a month then bottle or carb the keg then.

Hey after 2 weeks, does it need cold crashing? What temp ferment at? Can I transfer it in to bottles after that first 2 weeks or does it stay in primary till bottle time? How come wait a month before carbing?

I never have cold crashed a cider.

I wait a month before carbing to let the sediment settle harder on the bottom, clear the beer and for the flavours to age a bit.Hence making it now before New Years.

If you bottle and carb start away it will still taste the same, just not be a clear when you drink it.

So could take up to two months before drinking it? Including a 2 week bottle conditioning/ carbing? Man that's ages :-(

That nothing... you should try making a mead. One to two years for those babies.

In truth you can drink it sooner... but I like it to mature just a bit.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service