Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

http://ecofreaks.co.nz/products/bulk-powders-sodium-percarbonate-ox... Thanks guys I need some and maybe some Star San too, if I can convert my fridge to house 2 fermenters then I'll have to remove the airlocks and run tubing in to a bottle of water and Star San? also can I run the new airlock/tubing from the side of fermenter? or would cramming two fermenters not make sense due to air flow restriction??

Cheers

Daza. p.s my glass trial jar just smashed bummer!!

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just been looking to see what sodium percarbonate is, I found:

"In water sodium percarbonate breaks down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide is the active oxidising agent as it in turn breaks down to oxygen and water. The beauty of this system is that the starting material is a relatively stable powder (although it obviously must be kept dry) and the by-products (sodium carbonate and water) are harmless.
Although hydrogen peroxide is a good bleach, it is not particularly effective below about 40 °C."

I looked up what I use as a sterilizer and found:

"Peracetic acid is a more effective bleaching agent than hydrogen peroxide itself"

That might put you off sodium percarbonate

Smiffy

hmmm. Brewshop sell it as a no-rinse sterilizer so safe to use on all gear and bottles, with no need to rinse off. I have used this for my last two brews on equipment and my bottles for bottling. So am wrong to be using it? someone on here was selling it in bulk too.

Cheers

While per-carbonate will eventually kill most bacteria it's best used as a cleaner then thoroughly rinsed and then use starsan.

I think there was recently a bulk buy in Auckland for around $6 per kg, we get it in Chch for around $3 per kg by the 25 kg sack. I think you can also get it on tradme under oxygen bleach.

will it be ok that I didn't rinse it, on equipment and bottles? it's sold as a no rinse sterilizer. got me worried now!

and is Star San a no rinse sterilizer too?

Don't worry. I have used it for years as s steriliser, and I use s weaker solution for cleaning. From what I have read, as long as you use the right ratio, it steralises fine. Starsan may be better, but as I said I have never had any issues with sodium percarbonate.

It's all over!!

Haha, just kidding, no you'll be just fine they are both no-rinse - you just don't want them interacting - on their own they're just fine.

Some people only ever use percarb and never have any problems - I had a couple of infections creep in late last year and so started using starsan as well.

Thanks Sam, I was planning on getting some Star San too. as well as Sodium Percarbonate. Use the Star San on airlocks and bottle with tubes in it going back to the fermenter, in place of airlocks (with two fermenters in the fridge at one time...tight squeeze!!) maybe should start using it on equipment too, but still use the Sodium Percarbonate with bottle cleaning and sterilizing??  Is the Brewshop a good place to score a good deal on Star San?

Cheers guys, I'm relived now...phew!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service