Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys just going over a recipe for my First IPA!! and if I am to do a 23L batch of Beer then my calculations are for a 6Gallon batch? and if so is it ok just to add the 5Gallon + 1Gallon ingredients together to work out a 6Gallon batch?

Second question...If dry hopping is optional and says "you can add a handful" what measurement is that? and always with about 4-5 days left in fermentation left you do it?

Third question.....How do you work out the IBU (bitterness?) level if not stated in recipe?

Last question......How many packets of dry yeast US.05 would you use? basing it on adding the 5G + 1G together, it would be 1 and a half??

Cheers Guys appreciate it. 

Views: 1486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok so I've been to All-Grain and the yeast 1 packet is enough for 20 - 30 litre batches, The centennial hops are 8.2%AA and recipe calls for a 9.2%AA would it be worth it to add more hops or still a nice IPA? don't want TOO much hop smack in the face bitterness.

Just used Brewer's Friend and worked it out...Does about 48.95 IBU sound about right for an IPA? I will leave the %AA on the centennial Hops as 8.2%AA rather than the recipe 9.2% AA

It all depends on how hoppy you want the IPA to be. I wouldn't go below 50IBUs myself... but that is just the bitterness component of hopping.

For flavour and aroma hops added to the end of the boil or even just after (and both) help bring out the flavours on the new world hops and add very little bitterness.

If I can't get same hop AA% do you just add a bit extra hops to make it up? and dry hopping, if optional would that make any difference?

yep... or use one of the online calculators.

Dry hopping adds hop aroma to a beer...for IPA, Pale Ales it quite important but not a must for your first few 'learn to drive' beers.

I am dry hopping my first brew on the 21st September as it is called for in my APA. cheers. 

Another question.........Does 7.48kg of grain sound like a lot for a 23Litre batch of beer?

It has a OG of 1.072 and a FG of 1.017 and a ABV of 7.4%

Sorry another question,  if I was to get my self a refractometer and say take a reading at the pre-boil stage or earlier how can I get it back on target if I need to fix it? without using any DME (dry malt extract) if I'm too high I add water correct? but what else can I do if too low? and what kind of reading should I be getting at a pre-boil stage? or a post boil too? when I take a hydrometer reading then too. Cheers everyone.

If reading is too high then add some water, if too low then add some time to your boil

but if you volumes are good but the reading is out just leave it and brew as normal... it means you didn't get the efficiency you thought you would. So adjust that next time.

7.48kg sounds okay for a 23l batch.

Brewers Friend defaults to 75% efficiency and a 60 minute boil.

Do you reckon 7.4% ABV is too high for a an IPA?

Nope.. that would be a Double IPA... normally sweeter, heavier than an IPA but even more hops to counter the sweetness.

are you saying that at 7.4% ABV  would be a double IPA? 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service