Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

With Summer fast approaching it's time to get a sessionable beer in the fermenters. I've never tried this beer but it sounds the ducks nuts. Here's the recipe from Can You Brew It courtesy of the brewery. http://www.stonebrewing.com/levitation/

All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU

4.25kg British pale
0.5kg crystal 75
0.25kg crystal 150
20g black patent

Mash at 157

14g Columbus %AA 90min (unknown AA%)
29g amarillo %AA 30min
33g crystal %AA 20min
11g simcoe %AA 20min
42g amarillo dry hop for 5 days drop to 15C.

7 day diacetyl rest.

WLP007 pitch at 18C then raise to 19-20C after 24hours.

SG = 1.044

FG = 1.010

Target ABV = 4.4%

Views: 601

Replies to This Discussion

after that hop bulk buy this is a doer....

Heck yes! What would be a good substitute for Crystal?

I am will use tet as sub   go noble and clean

Pardon my skiting, but I tried it fresh at the brewery in Escondido earlier this year and it's an absolute cracker! Great hop flavour/aroma without being too much for a session beer. If ever you're in SoCal I'd highly recommend stopping in there, the brewery tour itself isn't that exciting for anyone who has seen one before, but it's only $4 and includes a cool little tasting glass and four tasters including this, the Arrogant Bastard, the IPA and the Russian Imperial Stout!

But yeah, keen to see how this recipe turns out as it was one of my favourite beers I tried in the US.

beersmith has this at 5% abv 1.054og 71ibu, its already in the CYBI addins

True. Website and CYBI podcast has it at 4.4%. Brewer could have got better effeciency than 70%? I would prefer it under 5% so it's nice and sessionable but I'm sure it would still be awesome either way.

Its on my list of visits for next year.

Highly recommended if you're in the area, very cool place, amazing to see "craft beer" being produced on what we would consider an industrial scale. Food is great too (as it was in every brewery we visited on the west coast from San Diego to Portland!).

ps. I just remembered I also tried this ber a while back when Liquorland Newmarket had it in stock, and while it was good it wasn't a patch on the fresh stuff we had at the source. With no really late hops and a massive dry hopping I'm guessing the aroma/flavour fades fast, certainly not one to age...

In the stone commercial brew, those 15min hops are all at flameout, as the time for whirlpooling chilling and hot stand is quite long. 

Us a low AA hop for subtitution. I actually looked at this the other day, maybe wai-iti would be nice.

Awesomev Cheers. very much looking forward to our trip to the Us now. Russian River, Stone, Modern time hopefulle too. Mr tonsmieres recipe forumlation put to the commercial test.

So brewing a 44L batch of this bad boy on Saturday. Had to make a few tweeks to the recipe. Couldn't get Crystal 120 so increased Crystal 80 and added a touch more black malt to get the colour back to the original SRM. I bought some Crystal Hops and have the rest in my freezer so at least the hop additions will be correct and I've got a fresh vile of WLP007 coming too, otherwise known as "Pete's Yeast" lol. Will take some good advice on another thread and make a 3L starter, pitch 2L and bank the other 1L for another brew day. Smart.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service