Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi. Looking at more Brett experiments. Tried rayon vert and went to sirens talk at GKBF sours.
Is there any way to get a good saison/farmhouse type beer withing 2-3months? Something that'll get me in the ballpark. I'm not massively keen on Large amounts of acid malt.

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a mate who was trying to do quick sours I'll ask him today and let you know.

Rayon Vert isn't really a sour, it's just brett, no lacto bugs. you'd start seeing some brett character in a few months if you just add Brett to secondary.

Based on my limited experience If I wanted a bretty beer in 2 or 3 months I'd primary with brett and make sure a bit of ale yeast gets in there when you bottle it. see here: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/group/nzcaseswap/forum/topics/cs10-... 

Just emailed him here's wht he said.

I can't recall man. I think I combined a lot of stuff I had read really. I quite like the results I got. But, it is a vastly different beer than an actual sour and not close to as sour (at least mine wasnt). Essentially, all I did was go through the process of a Berliner Weiss. This gets the lactic sourness. I then fermented it with Brettanomyces Lambicus. It has to be the Wyeast version as its very very different from the whitelabs stuff. This gets the cherry-ness that I wanted. The wort recipe was essentially something along the lines of a Flanders Red.

Yeah I've got a Flanders Red already in for long term souring...

I know what I'm trying first is the WLP670, which is a saison yeast blend with brett, people reckon its about 25% brett, So I'll probably start with that. 

I think I was half asleep when I put the question up, so I probably didn't phrase it properly. I plan to run with saison type beers, and use a mix of Saison yeast and brett in primary etc.  The first stage as above is obviously already a blend, but I'm wondering if anyone has used brett and another yeast in primary fermentation and then aged for a short period.

Brett Trois as you posted Richard is probably another place to start? Hmmm...

Right so I've been doing some research.

I'm looking for at a Brett Saison basically. Based on what I've read am I right in saying I can do a starter for the saison yeast (no brett) and pitch either a vial of brett in with it at primary. Or 1-2-3 bottles of dregs from beers like orval/rayon vert etc.

Has anyone had experience with doing anything like this??

Then Primary for a couple of weeks to finish fermentation and then age from there for 2-3 months.

You could try the Wyeast Roaselare?

It contains a mix of lacto, brett another bug I can't remember the name of and 2 strains of Belgian yeast.

Cheers Dave, I'll probably start with WLP670 (Saison yeast with Brett in it.), as its easily obtainable in my local shops next order.
Also thinking I might split out 4 litres and do a 100% brett ferment as well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service