30g Riwaka 5min
40g Wakatu 0min
30g Sauvin 0min
45g Riwaka -5min
20g Sauvin -10min
(30min hot stand)

1.6 packs US-05 rehydrated

2tsp gypsum, 1tsp CaCl, 0.5tsp epsom

Mashed at 66.5 deg C for 70min, followed by mashout at 75 deg C.

Lots of O2, pitched at 17.5 deg C, fermented at around 19 deg C.

Bottled from keg sometime around the 10th of March.

Let me know what you think :)

Well you said "drink fresh" so I've started this a few hours after getting the bottles.

Pours a deep red with excellent clarity. Hops jump out the glass - I am struggling to identify them but it smells awesome. Resiny and slightly grassy with a big sniff.

Head faded to a thin layer(may be the glass). Great balance in the flavour - the hops compliment the malts really well, bitterness comes in late for me and is bang on. On the lower end of a good carbonation with a med mouthfeel.

Great malt bill. Never had wakatu. If I could sum this up it would be well balanced. A great easy drinking beer. I'm sure this will do well in the GKBF. Well done.

Good first beer from the swap. Tasted a bit like Tall Poppy for me which is odd as that is an American Hopped beer!

Appearance. Looked great in the glass, a slight haze but that is being picky. Nice this head which lasted down the glass.

Aroma. Nice, defo get the riwaka, it almost smelt like Booky to me, and I got some nice caramel on the nose too.

Taste. Lovely bitterness (that is the sort of level I want for my pale ales) and tasted good but for me it was a little bit too sweet. I reckon another 2-3 points and it would be a great beer.

Overall. the rest best be good as this is a great bench mark. Nicely done

Great beer oli, Reminds me alot of the Red IPa from hop Federation.

Appearance: good clarity, nice deep red colour.

Aroma: Hops, and Malt. Hoppy NZ Character, with a sharp riwaka as well (Love that smell). Malt follows through with its sweet aroma.

Flavour: Deep Malt flavour, sweet, but not cloying, nice lingering bitterness from the hops, and plenty of hop flavour and aroma from the late hops and hop stand.

Mouthfeel: Good body, head is quite sticky, not cloyingly sweet I would say a classic example of style. 

Overall: I love reds and Red IPA's, the NZ Hops give it a different feel to the standard american hopped stuff. Interested to see the notes from the GKBF Comp.  Just lovely, well done.

Ohg and well done with the Eisy Days too.

Aroma: Malty, caramel, light hop notes but more on the Malt side for me.

Appearance: Deep golden red

Flavour: Smooth malty caramel, low bitterness with a sweet finish.

Mouth feel: Medium carbonation good body no alcohol taste.

Overall: It was easy drinking and smooth with a nice after taste. Not a session beer for me but a really nice one off after tea.

appearance: lovely bronze colour. thinnish head disperses quickly. excellent clarity for amount of hops

smells deliciously hoppy - bit of stonefruit and resin

taste - beautiful balance between malt and hops. Not managing to find good words other than it is so balanced. I think the sweetness and bitterness is just right

mouthfeel - certainly not overcarbonated - not sure if my glass wasn't right or could have survived a touch more carbonation, otherwise good

overall - lovely beer.  would happily pay for a pint of it

Oli, how did this go at GKBF?

Oops forgot about scanning these, overall score was about 22. Cheers for all the feedback too everyone :)

Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service