Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

My brewstand is finished and ready to use, but I want to paint it to prevent it rusting - I live 5 doors from the beach, so it will rust quickly...  Can anyone recommend a hard-wearing paint that can handle the direct heat from the gas burners?

Views: 609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Galv it, like send it to some one to galvanise it. Or leave it as it is let it rust it will have that hand brewed look about it. How did the kegs turn out?

Brilliantly - if I wasn't spending the weekend at Beervana I'd be doing my first batch.

Galv sounds like the best bet. Wicked setup!!

Its tricky because most of the paints that protect from rust use heat sensitive metals that oxidise with heat, or are polymer based, which also cook.

You might need to use some log fire or engine product, they both come in black.

In the joins go for zinc galv or Duplicolor Rust Fix as a primer.

Not brewing because of Beervana is the best reason I can think of.

My preference would be for zinc arc spray makes for a nice uniform matt gray finish - galv dip would be my second choice in welly unless you send it to palmy? the galvanisers in welly are lets say a bit hit and miss with quality control...;-)

Nice stand, might do one like that eventually.

You can get BBQ paint from Bunnings / M10 that should do the trick.

Only prob with galv is if you want to weld it later on the fumes are not so good to breathe in. Plus the expense.

I've used engine paint on manifold covers before that works pretty well, although it takes a while to cure and gives off fumes in the process, might be worth running it up to heat for a while before using in anger.

Good thing about paint is if it gets scruffy just a quick blast and it's all good again.

I used the zinc arc spray on the welds on my rig it makes a real tidy cheaper job ,but thats one sturdy looking rig youve got though

I had mine hot dip galvanised and it cost me $55.00. I couldn't buy the paint for that. Only problem is that yours looks like it has many enclosed sections. For hot dip galvanising you have to drill a minimum of 8mm dia holes at both ends of any enclosed sections. the galvanisor will not accept it unless it has those. Without a path for the galv to get in and the air to get out it can present an explosive problem for the operator.

Looks cool too :-)

Attachments:

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service