Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

funny you guys are talking about this... I've been harrassed by a Wellington beer geek for the last few months to put Punkadiddle in a can (500ml, wide mouth, I guess!!).

Just thinking about it this morning.
I know a few of the American "crafties" like Oskar Blues & Maui do it but not many others in the craft scene do. Personally I don't think it fits with the "craft marketing persona" but it would help the beer quality. Only thing is, means more capital expenditure and I think it would be a bit of a punt in the craft scene.
I didn't say I didn't like the idea... in fact I love it.

I also noticed those giant Asahi screw top aluminium bottles at the Asian Food Market the other day. Imagine it... a gallon of Punkadiddle off the shelf... 'ck yeh!!
I agree (though maybe not about Ruddles County). I think beer in cans currently suffers from the issue that screw-capped wines suffered from for a long time. People just associate cans with cheap piss. In terms of product stability, safety, weight and recyclability cans are definitely a better package.

Other than Leigh Sawmill, are there any other craft beers in cans in NZ?
well put...
We just need a Craftbrewer to invest in a mega expensive Bottling/Canning line, I think they start off at around $750,000 for a half decent one
there is no market without the pioneer...

I'm picking Sawmill didn't spend 750k on their one!!
The question is though would you buy a six pack of quality craft pale ale/pilsner in a can? considering it is the perfect container to transport your beer to places like the beach/hiking/swimming pool or sports ground where glass is a real problem.
Hellz yeah I would. I love smashing six packs... When I was in the States - the sixers still had the plastic rings holding together! It was a great look cruizing down the beach with one of those hooked on to my index finger...
Sawmills cannery is rather ghetto. Very manual process (read: open to the air rather than in a vacuum), very labour intensive, only 4 cans at a time.

But heck, it works.

Their cans are pretty sweet too, good size, nice looking. They do have to order something like 10,000 cans at a time, but even so I would imagine their whole cannery setup to be very cost effective.
Hitting another of the McKinlay specials tonight ... a 330ml "Punkadiddle" ... from my CS extras stash.

This is by and far the most refreshing beers I've had in a very long while. A session beer if ever I saw one. I'm guessing a low OG (1034ish) with a low finish too. Reminisant of a mild (but I think not that style) it's got a light malty taste with a gentle bitter finish and dry too.

I think I could so some serious harm to a keg of that!!
I just had my last one on the weekend... missing it already.

Might make a comeback, you never know.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service