Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm (re)-brewing onto a 3068 yeast cake with a multi-step infusion recipe. I struggled calculating the temps with the first batch but have since found this site : http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/infusion.html to calc volumes of water to add and wonder if anyone else has used it?

To end up with 23L in the mashtun prior to sparging I have to start with 7.2l. Does that look right?

Step Name Start Temp Stop Temp Infuse Temp Infuse Amount L Water-Grain Ratio quart/lb
37 20 37c 40c 7.2 1
45 37 45 100 1.2 1.17
52 45 52 100 1.5 1.38
62 52 62 100 3 1.79
72 62 72 100 5.2 2.51
78 72 78 100 4.9 3.19
brewing a dubbel tomorrow and i was going to add the candi sugar at 60 mins but i was wondering, is it better to add it a few days after fermentation has started or does it not make much difference?

40 ltrs

6.9%

Pilsner Malt - 7.775kg
Belgian Aromatic Malt - 210g
Belgian Special B Malt - 420g
amber candy sugar - 800g @ 60

Mash @ 66 for 60 minutes or more if needed for conversion

Boil 60 minutes

Additions of Amber Candi Syrup 800g - 60 min
Tettnang 30g. - 60 min (approx 18 IBUs)
Hallertauer 15g - 5 min

wyeast 1762.
Yeah it does make a diffrence supposably. (This has a scientific name for it cant remember it) Yeast will eat the simplist sugars first than move on to the complex ones next, If your yeast aint up to it and will crash out it will be a sure way of doing it by adding them to the start off the fermentation. You want a strong attenuation with the dubbel so I would add it after a couple of days that way it will eat the maltose first than move onto the simple sugars giving you a stronger attenuation. But im sure you will be adding heaps of yeast so probably wont mean shit either way hahahaha
i've got a yeast cake from an enkel to utilize,i was going to use mr malty to find out how much i need
Spot on!!
My simple understanding is that when yeast ferments the simple sugars it loses it's ability to ferment maltose. If that's the case then adding the candy sugar after the bulk of primary would ensure proper attenuation.

Personally, with that amount of candy sugar, I would add it just as fermentation starts to slow. Fermentation will go nuts shortly after you add it so watch out.

For a smaller amount of candy sugar (around 200g) I would keep my process simple and add it at the end of the boil.

That's my 2c.
Spot on!! But if you want to get technical on it Yeast @ 50% of attenuation is at its prime and will do what you tell it to do, if you add it when it wants to sleep it will continue to sleep, think of it like a thunder storm at night and your just getting to sleep and you here it start to rain, What do you do? you smile tuck yourself in and go to sleep even faster.
cheers fellas, i'll keep a check on attenuation and add it at around 1035-1030 then, i may scale it back to 500g as well.
I'm currently planning my next pale ale and need some advice regarding Simcoe. I was thinking of brewing a single hop Simcoe pale ale with my favourite pale ale malt bill.

Any tips on brewing with Simcoe? Is it good by itself? I also have Motueka, Styian & Pacific Jade.

Rough Recipe:

4.0kg Golden Promise
0.2kg Caramalt
0.2kg Carared

Xg Simcoe 60min to make up to 30-35IBU
20g Simcoe 15min
30g Simcoe 5min
50g Simcoe 0min
60g Simcoe Dry

Wyeast: 1272

Thoughts?
Personally, I'd blend Simcoe. A lot of people love it as a single hop, but I find it just too intense and "in your face". I find it grassy and a little too on the "vomit" side of mango. I think it's lovely as a bittering hop, but for flavour, I'd blend it with Amarillo, Columbus, Cascade, or Nelson Sauvin.

I'm really interested in other opinions on this though, as clearly my opinion differs massively from the mainstream in terms of what I've read/heard.
+1 for single hop Simcoe here

I've had experience with all Simcoe beers before and they come across mango andlLychee if you like them or cheese, vomit and sweat if you don't.

Looking at yr recipe I'd dial back the 0 and dry hops and go something like 1g per L and 0.5g per L respectively to limit the Simcoe excess potential
I find it grassy and a little too on the "vomit" side of mango
LOL. Awesome, I understand that description perfectly.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service