Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

well, it was labelled "Monkey Point IPA", but the sour smell and taste of wild fermentation was unmistakeable -- nicely balanced by sweet malt and (quite mild) hops.  i guess it's a matter of luck whether you get a benign infection or a baddy, and this one was a lotto winner.

a friend had recommended Peak Brewery beers because he found them unpredictable and edgy.  i've had the porter a few times and found it pretty, um, raunchy?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Raunchy eh? Hmmm!

Pip had an extremely clove-y tasting Peak IPA at The Free House in Nelson on Saturday. Seems there are some 'interesting' yeasts floating around in the Wairarapa.
Mine wasn't just clove-y -- it was full on soured. Rhys let me know there was a bung batch from one his barrels -- he's still got a couple of cases left if anyone wants some.
Interesting timing... I just had a bretted Punk Dog 77 Lager yesterday and it was superb. One of the best beers I've had this year but I'm sure they didn't mean for it to be that way!

Then a few hours later had a sour Redoak Organic Pale Ale and it was awful.
i had a vinegarised Founder's Fair Maiden from the hand pump at D4. Then last night i chatted to one of the Founders brewers at Regional's Road Show and he told me that they only send the Fair Maiden out in pressurised 50L kegs. apparently the nice people at D4 let the gas out of the keg and stick a hose in it for the hand pump.

is this a common practice?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service