Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How did the brew go?
mash almost done on an english bitter( i think?)

40 ltres,6.6srm,4.3%,35 ibu

mash at 67
3kg pale
1.5kg vienna
1kg munich
350g medium crystal

30g sauvin at 60
30g stryians at 25
30g stryians at 5

gervin ale yeast at 20c

2g cacl2&mgso4 in mash and 3.2 of each in boil

daddy day care today so schedule is subject to change!
Just finished preping for tommorws "breakfast beer" (Bitter) ... Aiming for a sessionable 3.5% ...

3.30 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 88.95 %
0.20 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 5.39 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 5.39 %
0.01 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 0.27 %
10.00 gm Fuggles [4.20 %] (75 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
10.00 gm Fuggles [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
10.00 gm Fuggles [4.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
10.00 gm Fuggles [4.20 %] (20 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
10.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.06 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
3.17 tsp Isinglass (Liquid) (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) [Starter 2 L] Yeast-Ale
That looks like a very tasty Bitter or Mild.

I would be fascinated to learn how you will measure the .06 part of your teaspoon of nutrient, and the .17 of fishgutst! LOL

I have just acquired a small digital scale, which measures up to 50 gr in .01 gr increments, so that's what I now use to measure my various bits such a water additions and nutrients.
My cocaine scales only measure in 0.1g increments, but I reckon that's close enough.
Ah yes, the joys of forgetting to set the defaults to something sensible ...

I do a 5 grams nutrient, and have yet to use my Isinglass as I keep forgetting to mix it ... I've used gelatine for finning in a rush.

Was also a bit miffed to find my ever fluctuating efficiency has pushed the OG to 1.041 ... most anoying, but I have taken detailed (down to the 10ml) water measurements from the tun and kettle and hope to have it dialed in better for the next run.
Billy T James - New Zealand Big Brown Ale
5kg Bairds Maris Otter
400gm Bairds crystal
100gm Bairds dark crystal
100gm Bairds amber
100gm Bairds pale chocolate

Southern Cross/Pacifica/NZ Styrians (lots of late additions)

60-odd IBU
S05 (repitch)
Good work Barry - i was thikning no one has done an NZ brown before... could be the next big thing. I'm keen for a taste one day.
Um... Rewired?
I guess being stuck out in the middle of nowhere left you on the outer there.
A hazy memory of Rewired helped inform my recipe a bit.

I brewed this same malt bill with Simcoe and Cascade about a month ago, dry hopped with centennial. most hops I've ever put in a beer. Keg vanished in under a week.

Wanted to see if I the same grist stood up to aggressive amounts of kiwi hops (plus that's all I had).
I imagine this beer is a bit like a hoppy porter / Black IPA in that it gets a lot better over a couple of months. Shame it'll not get the chance!!

I like the look of your hop combo Barry. I've used a kilo of Pacifica this year and really like it. t's a very versatile hop, lifts the aroma of other hops in pale ales but has a lovely smooth bitterness and flavour of its own.
First time I've used Southern Cross later in the boil too. I was timid with the amounts, only 10gm per addition, mainly wanted to add it as it's the freshest hop I have - still aromatic in the bag whereas you really have to snort to get any aroma out of my bag of Pacifica and NZ Styrians.
I've enjoyed using both of them over the last year but I'm really looking forward to going back to buying smaller amounts and using them fresher. As I'm sure are Joseph and Mike at brewers coop :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service