Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

South Island set to lose one of its best ranges of craft and imported beers

The purchase of FreshChoice Springlands by Countdown looks set to deprive Blenheim, and the South Island, of one of its best ranges of craft and imported beers.

The Derry family, which has owned and operated the Springlands store for 40 years, today announced the store's sale to Progressive Enterprises, which intends to re-brand the shop as a Countdown.

The news heralds a double whammy for Marlborough's beer lovers, coming just a week after another Blenheim supermarket, the former Redwoodtown SuperValue, reopened as a Countdown. The new store, now known as Countdown Redwoodtown, opened without its predecessor's fine range of New Zealand craft beers. 

Countdown's central buying and distribution system doesn't allow individual stores to buy from local suppliers. Instead, all stock is supplied from the group's central warehouse. This policy effectively rules out the availability of locally produced products (like craft beers) at Countdown stores.

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Damn, how dissapointing. Everything seems to be coming under the Countdown label lately. God, I hope Freshchoice here in Nelson survives - they have an amazing range of craft beer (and other products). Thankfully they seem to have a fairly good niche and hopefully the growing demand for quality beer will mean national retailers such as Progressive Enterprises see sense.
Very disappointing indeed. One countdown in town was enough, now we have 3!
Geoff, do you know the general beer policy at pack n save? maybe the new store down the road will pick up the ball when they open.
Pak n Saves are run, like New Worlds, by owner-operators who have the power to buy locally and from suppliers of their choice.

Let's hope the owners of Blenheim's new Pak n Save decide to take that option beer-wise. I will certainly speak to them on the subject when their identity is announced.
Expect all Fresh Choice to change to Countdown, and don't hold your breath for even a half decent range of craft beer, unless you are counting Mac's and Monteith's
... don't forget Oranjeboom Luke!
Shit that sucks guys, guess beerstore.co.nz will be getting a few more orders from down south when this all happens...
bummer...

I wouldn't even venture into Countdown/Woolworths. Every time that I need something, anything, from a supermarket I pop into the beer/wine section to see if there is a hidden gem in the beer selection.
Man, that's a BIG step backwards in the matter of craft beer availability, which as it is is such a slow crawl forward. I was always like a kid in a candy store in that Springlands Fresh Choice and they deserve serious accolades for their passion - something of which the modern supermarket machine is totally devoid. Like losing and old mate!
Some progressive stores are more progressive than others...

Countdown Milford in Auckland, definitely sell Epic PA & Lager and Moa, as well as Duvel, Chimay, Aventinus etc. So there must be some ability for stores to stock outside the range dictated by HO.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service