Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi I'm Stu.... Sometimes I feel alone, here's a little story that might help explain:

Last night I tasted the most fantastic new New Zealand beer - Invercargill Brewery's Sa!son. Up until now, the new New Zealand beer this year that had really got me excited was Epic Oaked Armageddon... a great beer, that caught me by surprise a bit, but the Sa!son was another step above them in both the "wow!" and drinkability factor. I mentioned the Saison to a few people and had one response from someone that had me thinking about my choices of great beers.

Earlier this year I'd recommended NZNBC's Deliverance Dortmunder to a few places (one of my "wow" beers of last year). Superbly drinkable and an amazing showcase of the importance of water in a beer's balance. The beer seems to have been met with a pretty ho hum attitude by most.

At Marchfest I fell in love with Moa Resurrection - I don't remember anyone else waxing lyrical about it anywhere.

I've stated for quite sometime that Townshend's Cathcart's NTA is the best beer in the country (personal opinion, I'm not proclaiming it "Champion Beer of NZ'). To me it has absolutely everything that a beer should have, in the same way that Galbraith's Bob Hudson's and Bellringers do. A good malt backbone with malt flavours rather than just sweetness, low alcohol for sessionability, superb and quite unique hop flavour, perfect water character, just the right amount of bitterness to have you begging for more, and (maybe most importantly) a fantastic fermentation profile that ties everything together in a way that means nothing sticks out (most importantly the "hole" that I sometimes find in beers that are just a little too clean).

A few weeks back I tried Rogue American Amber alongside 8 Wired Red Dwarf... the latter was nice (though a little too fresh, I'm looking forward to another try) but the former was stunning. As many people know I'm a staunch advocate that fresh is most certainly not best and I think the age on the Rogue really made it shine through (even if it may well have been picked as a fault by some). The hops (Cascade and EKG) were stunning but didn't have any of the big "new world" character that people expect these days - the hop flavour could proably best be described as ice tea. Again, nobody thought it was much chop.

Does anyone else feel out on their own sometimes? If so, what are the some of the beers you love that nobody else seems that fussed about? Or the beers you could take or leave that everyone else loves.

* Disclaimer 1: Take these thoughts as you will, they are purely personal. Most people here know that I have a strong personal and professional relationship with Steve Nally at Invercargill. I also know Martin Townshend fairly well, everyone knows Luke ;-), Soren, Keith Galbraith and David Nicholls a little bit, but I've never met Ben Middlemiss or anyone from Rogue.

** Disclaimer 2: I tried so many amazing homebrews in the last three years, most of which were big-to-huge, that it really does take a lot for a big beer to impress me. Big hops, loads of alcohol, smoke, spice or coconut is not enough to wow me any more... it has to be the complete picture and I seem to get this a lot more in beers under 6% (not that I don't love big beers!).

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru on 21/03/2010... it was 750ml of absolute joy. I shared it with my friend Jed (who many of you know) and I'm glad I like him a lot (and know of his appreciation of great beer) otherwise I would have been tempted to blindside him and have the lot for myself.

I'd tried Rodenbach many times before but this one I'd purchased 2 years ago from Island Bay New World, and it was almost at its best before date when I first acquired it. It was $11 and I reckon that it was the best value drink (of any type) that I've ever had in my life. Possibly that I ever will have.

To anyone who doesn't like Rodenbach Grand Cru: your opinion is wrong!!
Me too. It's a real "reward myself" beer.
Yeah Rodenbach grand cru is awesome, reminds me a bit of a fine wine in a way, I got my old man into it last time we were at Galbraiths and he loved it!! I also recall about 12 months ago seeing heaps of 750ml bottles of the stuff around for $11-$12 but havnt seen any of it recently??
your opinion is wrong!!

Hey, I own the trademark on that phrase! ;)
you're wrong (or as they'd say on crackbook: your wrong)
Was finally posted down to Invercargill for some work last week, so gate crashed Steve on Friday morning to see how things are done in the deep South. Only been promising myself to pay a visit for the last 8+ years.

Couldn't have arrived at a better time... While I quized Steve on all his latest developments, he put me to good use raking the mash on the brew in progress... a gorgess smokey / malty Smoking Bishop. We had the mash tun absolutely max'ed out.

I was lucky enough to also get a taste of the Invercargill Saison. Juicy fruit mainia with a firm maltiness and a lovely tart finish which left you craving more.

Another supurb beer from the deep south using relatively basic gear. Artisan brewing at its best!!

Thanks heaps for your hospitality Steve and look forward to this being the best batch of Smoken Bishop yet. I expect the hop aroma to also be spot-on...
Deliverance Dortmunder - I loved this one- first tried it at the AKL Beer Fest (when we ran out of Tuatara on our stall!). Biggest let down was I could only get 1 keg of it in Wellington- c'mon Ben, make us some more!
Muahahaha, just collected a keg of this from Ben yesterday for RCC! I can't wait.
Brilliant!

Jever used to be imported here... I'd love to try it again.
Oh - and I remember my first taste of Bud - a six pack or more - driving (back in the day) on a hot norwester north Canterbury day - tasted sublime. But that was even pre Macs so my palate was somewhat vacant - and it sure parched the thirst it sure made the drive fun.
Bud?
Budvar I hope!

If not then I'm sure your palate has changed somewhat... older bud weiser
Budvar I hope!

Didn't know it even existed back then.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service