Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just having a pint of Maximus Humulus Lupulus and as imitation is the sincerest form of flatery would love to brew somthing similar!

Starting with a basic APA recipe im guessing it would be mostly 15-0 min hop additions and a whopping dry hop - possibly Simcoe Centenial Amarillo hops? With a nice clean yeast/ferment.

Anyone brewed something similar? I always late & dry/hop my pale ales but they never acheive the maximusness!

Any thoughts on a recipe esp the hops and hop quantitys to acheive that that hoppy hoppy hoppy hoppiness!

Views: 1507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve is the man alright. I've only been to Haellertau once and told Steve how much I liked Copper Tart so he gave me some pointers. Still trying to get it right but I'm getting close.
Cheers Steve.
I had a keg of copper tart for my stag do, was awesome, went down a treat and made for easy all night drinking! I also detected a slight hint of roast in it last time, or am I way off??
I've looked longingly at the copper tart recipe wondering, should I, shan't I ... well, maybe I should
Cheers Steve, mad respect.

A question if you don't mind?

Is the acidulated malt strictly to get the pH down? Are there any significant flavour contributions from 1.5%?

You must get the hell good utilization in your kettle, that recipe only gives me like 54 IBU haha.

BTW, won't stop me buying the beer, I'm not out Hallertau way much but having 20L on tap at home wouldn't stop me at all.
The Acid malt is for pH control. The Gladfields tends to have a high mash pH and If you don’t get it in the right range you will get grainy flavours.

I prefer to use acid malt rather than a straight acid addition of lactic or phosphoric to the mash. I have done some trials to see if there is any flavour diff between acidifying with acid malt and straight acid but to be honest couldn’t really notice any, I just prefer acid malt

In saying all that if you are brewing this with English (or German) malt with neutral pH water and calcium at 70-100 ppm, you should be able to get away without doing any mash acidification additions.

Innit
Going from a 30L homebrew kettle to the 1200L kettle increased hop utilisation by 40%
I'll second jt's comment - never seen or tried (or really heard of it) let alone brought it before now. Now have to have some. Then I will try to brew it and will need to buy more of it for brewing time and more still for blind taste testing.
Seems that theres more than one Maximus in the world!
Attachments:
Very nice beer too.
Sweet jeeeeeeeeeeeeezusssssssssss!

The new Max is back on tap at the 'Tau, and I was lucky enough to purchase a take away bottle last night. Steve is the man for sure! I simply cannot get enough of that aroma! I'm hoping Steve somehow finds a way of making Maximus aftershave, I shall wash my clothes in it, then rub it all over myself, then put some in my scrambled eggs for that perfect start to the day. It would make me say stuff like "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit bloooooooooooooood, that's one mean assssss brewski. Can I have another?"
Muuuuuuchhh Jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you think there will be some around in October?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service