Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just having a pint of Maximus Humulus Lupulus and as imitation is the sincerest form of flatery would love to brew somthing similar!

Starting with a basic APA recipe im guessing it would be mostly 15-0 min hop additions and a whopping dry hop - possibly Simcoe Centenial Amarillo hops? With a nice clean yeast/ferment.

Anyone brewed something similar? I always late & dry/hop my pale ales but they never acheive the maximusness!

Any thoughts on a recipe esp the hops and hop quantitys to acheive that that hoppy hoppy hoppy hoppiness!

Views: 1507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Argh, not enough time to copy it down :o( I remember about 200gms of dry hoppy goodness tho ;o)
Maybe Steve changed his mind .. however I seems to recall it going something like this ...

Here you go fellas, knock yourselves out.

Maximus IPA

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 22.00 Wort Size (L): 22.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.15
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.62
Anticipated EBC: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 149.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 89 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC .....
Just joking, feel free to distribute far and wide, more IPA will make the world a better place.

Maximus IPA

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 22.00 Wort Size (L): 22.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.15
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.62
Anticipated EBC: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 149.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 89 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.2 4.59 kg. Gladfields Ale Malt NZ, Canterbury 80.07 5
9.3 0.48 kg. Bairds Caramalt 30 UK 73.58 30
1.5 0.08 kg. Weyermann Acidulated Germany 80.07 5

Potential represented as Yield, Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.0 g. Columbus Pellet 14.20 14.4 90 min.
6.0 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 12.4 90 min.
4.0 g. Columbus Pellet 14.20 8.5 60 min.
4.0 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 7.3 60 min.
4.0 g. Columbus Pellet 14.20 6.8 30 min.
4.0 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 5.8 30 min.
10.0 g. Columbus Pellet 14.20 10.7 10 min.
10.0 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 9.2 10 min.
8.0 g. Columbus Pellet 14.20 3.6 0 min.
20.0 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 7.6 0 min.
65.0 g. Amarillo Pellet 8.60 17.8 Dry Hop
10.0 g. Nelson Sauvin Whole 13.20 3.8 Dry Hop
55.0 g. Columbus Pellet 14.20 26.7 Dry Hop
40.0 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.20 15.3 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.19 gm Servomyces Other 10 Min.(boil)
0.77 gm Copperflock Fining 10 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale
Soren is spot on with his comments, good attenuation is key.

Mash coolish, maybe at 65 and for a bit longer than normal.

You will probably get a better result with English malt, golden promise is a really choice malt. English malt is much easier to use in the brewhouse and is forgiving, it runs clear fast and is far less susceptible to grainy flavours if you cock up your mashing.

If your using 001 or US05 pitch at 18 and make you have a rising temp profile, about 2/3 through the fermentation let it to warm up to 20-21 to make sure the yeast finishes happy and clean.

I tend to dryhop warm and short, 21 for 5 days seems to get a nice result, but keep tasting (hourly if necessary) until you are happy with the result.

Please feel free to drop in or send any bottles IPA for free and detailed feedback. You will receive informative comments like; “That beer is super choice bro”.
You see - how many professional brewers would come on here and share their recipes like this? Steve - you are the freekin man bro. Everyone else - show your support and get your arses to Hallertau - or be sure to get your Hallertau bottled beers... before the weekend preferably.

A serious question: Now that you guys all know the recipe, will this stop you from buying Maximus?

I for sure would brew as above, but it wouldn't stop me from guzzling copius amounts of Maximus by the Pint on Thursday nights.

I'd be saying stuff like "Maximus is choice as... waaaaayy better than my one..."
"Steve - you are the freekin man bro."

+1, and no, keen as to brew the above but will def keep buying Maximus ;o) What else am I sposed to drink at Hallertau??
Yeah I agree Steve you are the man! Thanks for sharing!

Funny thing imagine DB coming online with the for the recipe for one of their watery beers no way would they part with it incase someone copyed it.

But heres a little microbrewery happy to share a recipe with everyone because more IPA will make the world a better place! Awesome

No way would it stop me buying Maximus for so long I had to wait a year at a time to try Maximus at the malthouse this year this year for the first time Regionals had it on tap so I was buying it by the flagon mean!

Only reason I want to try brewing it is to fill the gaps between when I can be buying it!

Great to see the bottled beer round the place to!
Now that you guys all know the recipe, will this stop you from buying Maximus?

Never bought one, might now though :-)
I've only ever tried Maximus once at the West Coast Challenge along with Armageddon. I would definitely buy it regularly but I just never see it. Giving away the recipe just makes me more interested in it, brewing and buying.

I wonder what the next WnBC style will be...
Thanks a stack Steve. Sharing like that is fricken fantastic. Maximus is a great drop but unfortunately some sucker has to drive home and I'm usually it ! Maximus puts me on my butt so usually have only one or flip a coin to drive.

Damn wife gets pissy now I mention Hallertau as she heard me and my MTB mates rave on about it post ride beers so she wants to come out now !
I've said it before and I'll say it again Steve, I love you man! :)
Fantastic Steve, really appreciate you posting the full recipe and tips.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service