Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have to make a trip to Sydney soon.

Are there any places that serve beer that you guys/gals would recommend? The only criteria is that I can get a hold of good, quality beer.

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Red Oak is a must on Clarence close to Darling Harbour
The Australian

http://www.australianheritagehotel.com/

There's a number of german bars that do good beer and food and you can't go wrong with the james squire pub on darling harbour
as said, red oak: great selection of house brewed beers (well, not brewed on site anymore) that are all text book examples of their respective style. Their baltic porter is especially nice. they do tutored wine and food matching dinners from time to time, book ahead if you can attend one.

The australian: great selection of aussie crafts on tap and in bottles

The local taphouse: As the australian but nicer atmosphere.
Was just there a couple of weekends ago. The Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst is a must...

The 4 Pines in Manly was a bit sterile, as was some of their beer (though there a couple of goodies)
Agree with above (although Redoak seemed to be losing their 'edge') and Sam is right, if there is one place you must go to its The Local...

Also: MacQuarie Hotel (Schwartz Brewery) - Surrey Hills, James Squire Brewhouse (brewery on-site) - Darling Harbour, The Lord Nelson - The Rocks, Harts Pub - The Rocks (very close to opening), Bavarian Beer Cafe - The Rocks, Bavarian Beer Cafe - Manly (across the road from 4 Pines), Paddy's - Flemington (OK not CBD but a half hour ride to Femington on the train, then a 5 minute walk)
"although Redoak seemed to be losing their 'edge'"

I thought this when I tried a Red Oak Organic pale ale, one of the worst beers I tried in Aus, and even rated xxxx over it!! Havnt tried any of the rest of their range tho to be fair, but heard alot of good things about their PA??
The OPA is their worst beer IMO, cant say I have ever had a good pint of it! Generally a good selection on tap and he's dropped his prices too - now less than $10 a pint vs the $14+ it used to be.
The Redoak have a wide range on tap and in bottle. The tap beer was probably the coldest I've ever had - so cold it hurt my teeth and numbed my tongue! I couldn't tell you what it tasted like 'cause I couldn't taste anything.

They had a very good bottled English IPA, just let it warm up.

Jacksons on George (176 George St in the CBD) have a pretty wide range of bottled beer - mainly well known stuff rather than Oz craft.

The Lowenbrau Keller on Argle Street in the rocks have a good range of German beer
the beers i've tried are a mix - from one of the worst acetic experiences I've had (in their bitter), through a splendidly aromatic Framboise (not quite as good in the mouth), to a truly world class drop in their Baltic Porter...

I'd not miss them if I was there. Unless I only had one choice and then it'd be the Taphouse. But as if I'd only have one choice!
I plan to check out Lord Nelson, Red Oak, Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst and the Australian when the Phoenix mug Sydney FC this weekend. Full report soon (maybe in PoH).

Go the Phoenix!
I only had a few days there, so I went to The Local in Darlinghurst.

It is a nice pub over all. The music gets a bit loud, but most of the beers on tap were good. The staff was quite nice on Thursday, but a little less so on Friday. (Nice lasses working on Thursday, blokes on Friday) I think that is mostly due to how busy they were though.

Overall, a nice pub, with some decent food.
Thanks for the update.

Quite frankly I can't wait until the Phoenix kick Sydney's arse and then I get to go to Melbourne which is actually a decent Aussie beertown.

Go the Phoenix!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service