Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, may have some extra cash shortly, maybe time to look at mash tun or kettle.

probably kettle first, current one struggles to hold 23 litres at a good boil but the insulated pail tun will cope with 5kg plus a bit

What's the opinion on what's out there ?

The 40 litre urns from trademe - Dan, don't you have one of those - what's the deadspace, how's the 2000w element manage to get a boil going ?

Mr Houghs 55 litre polarware - would you dare drill a hole to fit an element in that ?

Converted keg ?

I'm staying electric, I know we've had a great summer, but I'm going to stay inside the garage where it's gunna be warm in winter

any good tips, tricks, hints or good buys out there ?

cheers, jt

Views: 1431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

jt, did you purchase new kettle and/or chiller in the end?
Mr C !

No, I haven't yet.

I'm in two minds what to do. The 40 litre urn is an easy fix, means I can do a 32 litre boil for a full 23 litres into the fermenter.

But I'm pondering whether I should be going for a double batch size. Whilst I'm brewing I should be making the most of the time, from what I can see there's no extra time (maybe crushing grain) involved, it's just bigger volumes.

So the 40 litre urn is a half way measure maybe. To do a double batch I think I'd want to be boiling 45+ litres which would need approx 60 litre kettle and requires a complete rethink to the set up and more dosh than I've currently got :-( I'd need to do a bit of plumbing to turn the existing 28 litre kettle into HLT as well and new mash tun

Or should I stick to the current set up that just fills a corny keg.

The immersion chiller isn't a problem, neighbour will bend copper no probs and Mico in Seaview prices copper $200 for 15m of 1/2 inch or similar price for 3/8 inch that Barry etc got.

Do you have some plans cheery chap ?

Have you caught up with any of the other brewers around the Upper Hutt ?
I need to drastically improve my boiling technique.

I was originally going to go far the "two pot boil-up" technique like Ed. I ended up running out of time and my only option to get in an Easter brew was the multi-pot approach, so I went for it :)

My plan was to "perfect" my batch sparging technique where I fill the first pot from the first runnings and the second from the second. I was going to buy the second pot this weekend but thought I'd see what you came up with first. I'll probably stick with my plan for now and spend the money on some gear that will allow me to lager.

I haven't caught up with any other brewers from this forum yet. There's a couple of kit brewers at work though, we have the occasional tasting at work.

I plan on entering the comp later this year and attendiing the function (assuming & hoping there will be one).
What are you buying ?
A second SS pot exactly the same my current one. Its approx 15L and costs about $20 from the wharehouse.

As for the gear to allow me to lager, I'm not sure yet, I currently have nothing. I've been reading about carboys, corny kegs, fridges with thermostats, etc. It all adds up fast. I was originally hoping to lager outside in a carboy during winter but now I'm thinking that's not such a good idea. No hurry.
Go the red shed's pots !

I have the same that I part boiled in for some time and currently use to heat mash and batch sparge water.

As for lagering, I was just going to sit the fermenter on the garage floor during winter, but had also considered a food grade plastic jerrycan (wrapped in black plastic), outside out of the sun over winter for extended lagering.
As another thought, hauraki used to have the still bases for $76 freight free to Welly. If you added at least a 2000w element you'd be boiling 23 litres and possibly have an HLT when you found a decent kettle .. saves having two 15 litre pots
Where do you get jerry cans from and what's the cost?
Also, do you need and airlock for the lagering process?
I bought one from Great Exp when I bough keg set up a few years ago, can't remember cost.
Stowers www.stowers.co.nz in seaview is worth a look though.

I guessed that at outdoor winter temps I wouldn't be getting much fermentation and I'd check it every few days to releive any pressure (and my own worries)

Discalimer: I haven't tried this and don't know if it will work !
Thanks jt. Very helpful, as always.
I too use a 15l pot from the Warehouse plus a slightly larger aluminium thing bought from TradeMe. I'm thinking that between the two I'll be able to handle a full boil volume once I get that darned cooler converted.....

Whereabouts are you Mr C? I'm on the Shore, so Hauraki Home Brew is usually my first port of call for bits and bobs.

Martin
I'm in Wellington. There's really only one Home Brew shop here and the grain selection is quite limited. Didn't take long 'till I was forced look elsewhere.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service