Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

A place to post recipes for those that picked something up at this years homebrew comp.

Hopefully there's some winners willing to share.

Views: 4846

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Martin,

Was this a 19L batch - very keen to give it a go and get the stocks up for summer

Cheers
Rob
That would have been a 20L batch. I haven't brewed it for a while. I'm currently thinking of a lower-gravity version for summer.
Tasty-ish APA - American Pale Ale. 39.something/50. Silver medal and Best in Class.

3.15kg Maris Otter
1.25kg Pilsner malt
0.4kg CaraPils
0.18kg Crystal 60L
0.18kg Wheat malt
10g Chinook mash hop
Mash at 67 degrees for 60 mins

Then we go multi-layered with the US hops:
6g Warrior @ 60
7g Simcoe @ 20
7g Columbus @ 10
7g Northern Brewer @ 10
7g Simcoe @ 1
9g Centennial @ 1
25g Cascade @ 0

Dry hop:
15g Centennial
25g Columbus
15g Simcoe

Yeast is Wyeast 1056 American Ale. Ferment at 19 degrees.

Water was burtonised.

OG 1.056 and 39.5 IBUs, so not too bitter but loads of hop aroma.

Based very closely on American homebrewing legend Mike "Tasty" McDole's APA recipe. This is the beer that turned me on to US hops in a big way. It also proved to me that it is possible to get tons of hop flavour and aroma without bucketloads of hops. It's now one of my stock standard beers.
Have also brewed this, can vouch for this one, stellar recipe.

Was this the same batch that you brewed first or a rebrew for the comp?
It was the original batch. You never got any of it did you? I'm going to re-brew it in time for Christmas. Absolutely amazing beer, the layered hops really work well. Bitterness is not overpowering, just lashings of hop flavour.
Nah, I didn't, I'm planning a rebrew too, we should actually do a side by side this time haha.

I'm surprised the original batch lasted so long - in that you didn't polish it all off and that it stayed a medal winning beer for so long. Great work mate.
and to think that you were close to giving up brewing!
You're right Stu. Four bad batches in a row and I was about ready to throw in the mash paddle. If it wasn't for the your wise words at the time and the enthusiasm of everyone on this forum I probably would have stopped brewing (at least for a while).
And the world would be a sadder place (at least for a while).
IODOPHOR!!!!!!!!!!!
Iodophor, Starsan and 3 new fermenters!!!
3 Fermenters?? Wowzers!! Starsan is the Business!! and Acetic!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service