Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Among other, which I will comment on later, at Beer Club on Wed at the Malthouse we had the Hawkes Bay Reserve Ale. They should have reserved it so no one had to drink it. It was disgusting! It tasted like soggy weatbix with vanilla suger. Not often I cannot finish a beer but this was too terrible to drink. Thank goodness for the PKB bonus round (thanks Colin) and the Hallerteau Stuntman to finish the evening.

Off to Bar Ed for Beervana de-brief...
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I did finish mine, but only because I hate wasting beer. Even that beer. Nasty for sure.
My Beervana seems to have continued...Just before BrewNZ, I got a huge US delivery from Beerstore and a package from Moa. Then I had the Regional's "Best of Beervana" tasting, the Malthouse Beer Club (with a whole lot of special leftovers), the Hashigo Zake official opening, and the volunteer de-brief at Bar Ed (which had some tasty Beervana leftovers as well). So, all too much beer being drunk. I am not taking seriously enough as I am awash with options and feeling very spoilt. For anyone that doesn't live in Welly, you should move here...Our beer bars are bloody fantastic. For those that haven't been to the Malthouse Beer Club, you should come. It was pretty interesting last week.

The Yeastie Boys range: so lucky...
His Majesty - from the tap and the bottle. Deliciously tasty and well balanced. Can't wait to see it at Bar Ed so I don't have to go to D4. Don't really like the vibe there.
Plan K - last two pints off the tap at Bar Ed. Was not as good as when first pouring.
PKB - from Colin at Beer Club to make up for the bloody awful Hawkes Bar Reserve Ale. Thanks Colin.
Stone IPA - I really enjoy this beer. Good sweet malt and bitter balance - Smack you in the face hops
Alaskan IPA - Can’t remember anything particularly interesting to report but better than the Amber Ale which was quite sweet and boring.
Utopias 2009 - Hazelnut praline but otherwise a waste of money if you ask me. Only good for bragging rights to say I’ve had some.
Oak Aged St Joseph - Must ask what barrels this was aged in. Had hints of Turkish delight which would suggest Gewürztraminer with the slightly spicy Belgium style yeast. A big thanks to Dave. Have shared a few of the beers he sent up to round applause from all.

Pelican Brewery Stormfest Barley wine - Just a wee taster of this was enough. Gorgeous amber colour and roast malt flavour.
Rouge Issaquah White Frog Ale - Truly chunky at the bottom of the bottle - cloudy and spritzy but otherwise not particularly remarkable for all the bloody ingredients in it. Would prob drink it again but might go for an Emerson’s beWTIched first. Had that at Regionals and was impressed.
Doublewide IPA - orangey hop bitterness. Gorgeous packaging as well.
Flying dog Pale Ale - OK but terrible packaging and didn’t really stand up to all the other beers we’ve been drinking lately. Hashigo has got quite the range so will be good to go back to these at a later date.
3 Boys Oyster Stout - Salty goodness.
Meantime IPA - quite different to all the other IPAs I’ve been drinking with far more malt characteristics coming through, and lacking those big American hops.
Renaissance Discovery - Would happily drink quite a bit of this over summer.
Stone and Wood Draught - Tasted like pineapple and tonic water combined!! Not sure I’d drink a lot of it but was worth another taste.
Mountain Goat Hightail Ale - Quite liked this. Great philosophy behind this brewery as well. Malt sweetness with toffee notes.
Harringtons Wintertide Winter Ale - Xmas cakey. Seems it has been released a little late - spring is here.
Emerson’s Hoppy2Porter - an attempt at a PKB - not quite as good as a PKB but love the concept.
Emerson’s pilsner - one of my “five beers on a dessert island” staples.
Maui Big Swell IPA - been drinking a lot of this from the Beerstore. I love the fact that it comes in a can. Tasty, drinking it now. Not too overwhelming so could down a few pints
Maui Bikini Blonde Helles lager - Didn’t think much of this. Would go for the tuatara first.
Armageddon - unfiltered and unpasturised - lacked the balance of the more refined version.
Hallertau Stuntman - was my winner on the night of Beer Club. Amazingly well balance for such a high alcohol beer making it a very dangerous drop.
Nobody seems to like Utopias. I will happily take any unwanted bottles off people's hands. ;)
Tonight was American night, courtesy of Regionals.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Not enough hops! But still nice, just not great.
Uinta Anglers Pale Ale - Malt Driven, weak hops. A slight roast malt kept it interesting though.
Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA - YES! So good. Resiny American hop character but still balanced and easy to drink.
Sam Adams Sample A Pils - Crap, tasted like bloody export gold.
Pukie 4, AKA Kid Chocolate ripoff #4
Beauty beers Milds, straight from fermenter to keg, gas and pour.
One day I'll do this with a decent yeast, but for now SO4 is doing a good job and boy it's clear.

cheers, jt
Tonight, a quiet one.
Rennaisance Paradox Blonde Ale - Not as hoppy as I remember
Mikkeller Simcoe Single Hop IPA - Awesome, Tropical Just Juice beer, with pine and bitterness.
Sierra Nevada Porter - A solid porter, nothing outstanding though.
Just a couple last night:

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye - very good indeed. The hops had fallen away a bit, but the spiciness imparted by the rye stopped the sweetness from overwhelming. I really want to brew a RyePA or similar, very soon.

Leigh Sawmill 12 Gauge - and talking of hops falling away, oh dear. They've disappeared entirely from this one, leaving an overly-sweet big pilsner. If any of you have got some left from the SOBA visit out there earlier in the year I'd drink them up now.
Hot lemon drinks and copious amounts of water.

Fourth cold this year, honestly? Beers must be taking their toll on the ol' immune system.
Last night I popped round to Tyler's to borrow his mill and had a quick sample of his American Stout (quite unusual, the hops and the roastiness were fighting all the way down the glass) and a drop of his bretty Old Ale (very nice indeed, much lighter than I expected).

Then came home and poured myself a pint of my WBC IPA. It may not have scored highly with the judges but I'm very happy with it. It's probably hitting its straps about now, the haziness has almost gone and the harsh bitterness has mellowed a bit. The thing that impresses me most is the head retention - I've never had such good head (ooerr) from a beer. So for future reference, if you want great head, add more hops!
Did you add any CaraPils into your recipe? That stuff gives better head than a high class hooker.
Thats Comedy Gold right there...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service