Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I just finished a Muntons Gold Continental lager. This is the first brew i have made in the 20years i have been doing it, that I haven't put sugar in the fermentation process. I put the same amount of priming sugar I alway put in my brews, which always turn out fine. However this one didnt it was completely flat. Has anyone else had this problem with the gold range?

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok thanks
In before Reviled... BIAB!
Goddamn i hate being blocked at work :oP lol

+1 for BIAB
I used to use the enhancers, and a mate still doing kits swears by them. I have got him to partials, however he is happy with how the kits + hops come out and doesn't have the time for AG just yet.
Oops, I just re-read this and step 4 is wrong.

The total boil volume should be 13L at most. 2 x Macs Kit = approx 3.5L

Therefore Step 4 should Read:

Step 4:
Add water and kits to bring volume to 13L.
Stir untill kits are dissolved (not sticking to the spoon).
Bring to boil.
Add hops & turn off heat.
Put the pot in a bath of cold water & leave to cool until 18 deg.
HI again
I just did another brew using malt instead of sugar. I left it fermenting for 6 days at 18c. It had finished.
I put in the normal amount of priming sugar into the bottles. After 7 days in a warm area the bottle are still soft and when you look at it you can see the sugar floating at the top like it isnt fermenting away, its just sitting there. I then looked at the bottom and there doesnt seem to be any yeast sediment at the bottom. Its like there isnt any yeast in the bottles enough to make the CO2.
This only seems to happen when I use the malt instead of the sugar in the fermentation stage.
Any ideas? Im not sure what to do. I read some people leave theirs fermenting for 2 weeks. Would that drop all the yeast out so there is none for the CO2 in the bottles? Im having enough trouble after just a week.
I used Safale 04 for the first time in this brew as well.
What did you clean the bottles with?
I then looked at the bottom and there doesnt seem to be any yeast sediment at the bottom.

My beers with S04 are like this too, they take an age to carbonate.
Have patience, have quite a lot of patience. From memory the last batch took at least a fortnight, may have been longer.
Current batch of mild has been bottled 10 days and when I checked Monday or Tuesday was still 'flat as'

cheers, jt
Leave the beer in the primary fermenter at ~20C for three weeks. Less than three weeks for beers greater than 1.045 is too short IMO. The yeast may stop creating alcohol and CO2 after a week but they've just had a massive party in there and need to clean up their mess.

There will always be enough yeast to carbonate unless you lager, filter or kill them somehow.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. I would wait at least 3 weeks in the bottle to start drinking.

What is it you're seeing floating at the top? Sugar shouldn't float?

Yeah six weeks is a bitch but it gives you a good reason to brew more often :-)
I just used that blue bottle wash powder you get from the brew shop and boiling water.
The warm place the bottles are in is 18c I thought you probably have it the same as the first fermentation?.
As soon as I bottled this brew the bottles were clear as well.
I just used that blue bottle wash powder you get from the brew shop and boiling water.

This might be worth looking at... no sanitation product used? I'm pretty focused on getting those bottles spotless and then sanitised.

How did you do this with boiling water and plastic bottles? The blue bottle wash is a detergent only I think?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service