Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi

Sunday afternoon I put on a batch of Coopers Dark Brown Ale. I added brewing adjunct, and some more hops. (In the tea bag.) I did not check the OG.

By Monday morning, the brew was bubbling wildly! Every second another burst of beautiful smelling beer burped its way out. However, by Tuesday, there was no more bubbling, and I think I know why.

I had the fermenter wrapped up in a sleeping bag, and on a heating pad. I did this because I saw the weather said it was going to be around 0 pretty much early in the week, and I did not want my batch to die. Evidently, I may have killed it the other way. The fermenter was easily around 30 degrees.

So, today (Thursday), I decided what the heck, go ahead and bottle it and see what happened. The SG if I am reading it correctly is 1020.

Do you think it finished brewing completely? There is a nice cake of yeast on the bottom of the fermenter. Do you think it is going to taste like a bad nightmare, and cause awful hangovers?

Cheers!

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its done bro, but you have loads of unfermented sugars in there so what you could do is make a starter of new yeast and pitch that to see if it will eat the rest of them, and try your best to keep it at around 20 degrees
That SG sounds pretty high, so either the extra sugars aren't fermentable (so adding more yeast won't help) or they are but the yeast died, in which case bottling and chucking in some priming sugar may not get you carbonated beer (and it'll be sweet as fuck). Like Mike said, I reckon leave it in the fermenter, add more yeast and get it around 20 degrees for another week.
I agree with Mike and vdog. However, if you've already bottled it I would say be very careful of exploding bottles. With an SG of 1.020 you will likely get more fermentation happenning in the bottles. If you used plastic bottles you can purge them every now and then to release the pressure.

I would also say "have a taste". High fermentation temps will give a fast ferment but will also give lots of nasties like whiteboard marker aroma and nailpolish remover flavour. If it tastes solventy then I'd say tip it out and start again, it'll taste terrible, you'll get drunk really quick and you'll have a nasty hangover.

Also, I think you need to let you beer ferment cooler and longer. All of my beers spend at least 2-3 weeks in the fermenter (10 days minimum and that would only be for a small beer with a low starting gravity e.g 1.040).

Did you use the yeast that came with the kit? If so, you'll get much better results by purchasing a better yeast from your local brew shop like Safale S-04 or US-05. If the yeast isn't stored in a fridge, don't buy/use it.

If you haven't already, take a look at http://www.howtobrew.com/ and The Library.
Thanks everyone.

So, late last night I decided to bottle it. Fortunately I am using PET bottles. However, it is likely that I will just tip this batch. (As much as I hate to.) While I was at it, I started a new batch, and have the fermenter in a very cold location, sitting on a heating pad. (The standard brewcraft one, in my basement)

Is this a better approach, or should I just completely forgo the use off a heating pad? I just don't want the yeast to die if it drops below 7 at night.
If gets too cold for the yeast they won't die, they'll just go to sleep. You can always warm it up again and give a bit a shake and they'll wake up again.

Having said that, you should try to keep the temp constant and within the yeast tolerance range, I aim for 18c for ales. Do you have a room that stays around that temp all day? Lounge or bedroom? Mine goes in the bath with lots of water around it at 18c for the first 3-4 days. Simple, cheap and effective.

I get the feeling that your heat pad is doing more harm than good. I don't own one.
I just cannot seem to win for losing this week.

Started a new batch on Thursday night, and still no bubbling. I wonder if it is even fermenting.

Everything was sanitised, and admittedly, it is a bit cooler than the previous batch (maybe 18 right now)

I guess the options are just wait it out, or go buy some more yeast today.
What yeast did you use and did you rehydrate it first or just sprinkle it in?
Just to note - the airlock isn't a fermentation activity display device, it merely shows that there's a pressure difference between inside the fermenter and the outside atmosphere.

Use the sight of krausen and a drop in gravity as an indicator of fermentation.
I just sprinkled the yeast and stirred it in. It is the yeast that came with the brewcraft bitter kit.

I will buy some more yeast just in case, but will probably wait until Sunday and read the SG.

What a week for brewing for me. :D

One day I will be able to make the good brews like all of you. (so I hope)
Most ale yeasts work perfectly at that temp. What yeast did you use? One of my fermenters doesn't even bubble at all any more, there is a leak somewhere, still works fine though. Maybe take a reading tomorrow and see if it's moved some. That's the only true way to know if it's fermenting. Other good signs, condensation on the lid, krausen on the side, yeast cake developing on the bottom. Sometimes just checking the lid is tightly fitted and a gentle swirl kicks the bubbles into action.
Is krausen the bubbly mess that some times shows up on the sides of the fermenters?
Yup, that stuff.

Most of the time the airlock isn't bubbling because there's a leak somewhere. The gas escaping will take the path of least resistance, so if the fermenter isn't sealed properly the gas will travel through that opening and not through the airlock.

Honestly, it's really hard to not make beer, as a famous philosopher once said - RDWHAHB :-D

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service