Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Went to an exibition opening at a friends gallery last night, they were giving away Tiger for free. I felt a strong compulsion to complain about how shit the beer was. Why do people drink this flavourless horrible shite? It's bad when you get given a beer for free and still feel like you've been ripped off!

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some commercial operations are different than others. Yeastie Boys beer is made because we love beer and we'd love to see the boundaries pushed out a little. we're not trying to push them in a gimmicky fashion, just a little stretch here and there. We won't be able to continue unless we can sell the beer and make enough from it to pay for both it's cost of production plus other company related expenses.... so yes it is definitely commercial BUT it is not anywhere near our primary source of income and is not being made to please shareholders with ROI figures.

I can't speak for others but I know there are people who are very close to our philosophy, closer than most people might suspect. And then there are others, who still actually make great beer, that are economically closer to the "suck arse" model. Most are somewhere in between - they have to make a living off it... jsut look at Epic Lager and Tuatara Helles. I have no doubt that Luke and Carl love hops and/or funky yeasts every bit as much as any of us but they've created products there that are commercially astute and very delicious. Possibly neither of their favourite beers but I bet both are (or will be) excellent sellers in their rtange.

The question should probably be phrased more along the lines of 'why does almost everyone I know drink beers that suck arse when there are so many delicious beers around?' The answer, in my opinion, is 'conformity'.

Why does everyone where blue jeans when they could wear "fresh hop green" cords? Same thing. So they don't stand out from the pack too much... you wouldn't want the wolves to spot you easily.
You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!
I'm not !
My theory: Great ad campaigns = terrible tasting beer.
Tui with their 'yeah right' slogan, Steinlager Pure with an ever-so-cool Harvey Keitel, Tiger and the reincarnation saga, the classic 'That man deserves a DB'...
I can't drink any of that crap.
Definitely agree that the better the ad campaign, the worse the beer. If ever I launch my brewery my advertising is going to suck.
That'd be a good ad campaign. "Our adverts suck. Unlike our beer". Or how about "We can't afford flashy adverts. We spent the money on making good beer."

Above adverts are TM'd by The Drunken Pope Brewery.
Geoff Griggs once said to me that the quality of the beer was inverse to the free beer he receives. Haven't given him a free sip since!

I feel a bit guilty.
I wouldn't worry - I don't think Geoff goes thirsty. :-)
Stu, at least you could quote me correctly. ;-)

When referring to samples that are, very generously, sent to me by brewers, I reckon; "The quality of a beer is usually inverse to the quantity of it that I receive."

- If I receive a single bottle it's quite often a gem (and I wish I'd got more!).
- If I receive a six pack it's usually ok.
- And if I receive a dozen... Well, you get the idea.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, aren't there Luke?! ;-)
thanks for the nod there Geoff, I was thinking that maybe for Armageddon I should send you 30ml's, for just a taste.
I quite like Tiger. Shame it's a DB brand.
Denise will you marry me.....wait sorry, I'm already married. Interesting observation though and well put.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service