Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I just finished a Muntons Gold Continental lager. This is the first brew i have made in the 20years i have been doing it, that I haven't put sugar in the fermentation process. I put the same amount of priming sugar I alway put in my brews, which always turn out fine. However this one didnt it was completely flat. Has anyone else had this problem with the gold range?

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the sugar is mainly at the bottom, I just tipped one upside down and you can see the sugar residue float down.
Carbonating's a bitch this time of year, it gets too cold even in "warm" places. I'm having the same problems, it takes about a month for ales. Don't stress it though, it will get there eventually.
Do you use a 2nd fermentation? ie transfer into another sterile barrel after a few days? I read that this can reduce the yeast bit and produces a better beer. What your opinion? is it worth the trouble of transfering?
In my experience transferring will produce a clearer beer, however it will probably take longer to carb up too.
Nah, don't worry about it, unless you're aging longer than 5 weeks you're risking oxidation and infection during transfer, if you're leaving beers for about 4 weeks before bottling they should be pretty clear anyway.
I secondary ferment, but the debate rages over whether it's worth the effort. Personally, being a bottler rather than a kegger, I find it clears up the beers quite a bit to give it a stint in a carboy.

It may also help if you dissolve the carbonation sugar before adding, sounds like the granules are still floating around in the bottle.
My 2c. This has given us even, controlled carbonation, and pretty clear beer. YMMV

Rinse a saucepan, chuck it on some scales and add the required amount of sugar for the beer (we use about 60g for 21L (bottled) for low-carbonated beer, up to 100g+). Add enough water for the sugar to dissolve; bring to boil for 5-10 mins. Chuck lid on, put in sink and cool it down by running cold water around it. Tip into sanitised carboy/bucket. Rack beer from fermenter onto the sugar solution. Bottle. Leave in warm place for about 2 weeks, then into the garage to cool down and the yeast to drop out and cake. Beer will be perfect after at least a week.

No secondary fermentation required :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service