Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right, gotcha. fair enough.

i guess donigthat with the GF is out, counterflow chilling it would take ages to do.

Why can't you do with GF?
The CF chiller on the GF is actually pretty good. Spent a lot on several others to use with GF (helical and plate ones) but found the one that comes with it actually performs well. 
Can use it to lower the liquor temp on mass - doesn't take too long.
I often use it to lower temps for hop stands - would be similar for strike liquor - from memory I can take wort temp from 100 to 80 in well under 5 mins - 60-70 wouldn't take that much longer. Liquor would chill faster than wort

the chiller is good, but doesnt chill the whole body of water down quickly.

Like sam suggested you need to cool quickly to keep too much oxygen from getting back into the water prior to mashing, and 20 mins or so wouldn't be ideal from a time perspective.

You could always add ice to your boiling/boiled water. Oxygen is practically insoluble in ice.

What's brewing, 1991 style maybe
We were having a clear out in the cupboard under the stairs and found a box with odds and ends from last century,
I remember the Telfords stout being pretty good, but I only ever saw it in the old shop onthe main road in Paraparaumu
Saturday morning shopping, get the groceries then pickup a kit at Great Expectations - Kilbirnie
I haven't noticed any of these for a long time ...
Attachments:

Nice one jt.  Making me feel old though.  I remember trying various different kits around that time.  Coopers always came up trumps for me.  Geordies featured I few times if I recall correctly.

Geordie Yorkshire Bitter

The lady in the shop told it would be similar to Lion Brown, my favourite beer at the time.

yea its a haircut or 2 back Mr C.
When you start off, there was so much to try, so much anticipation
And coopers became good for tinkering with, I remember thinking I'd made something like Sassy Red using a Real Ale and adding some B Saaz. He he he

Brewed an IPA a couple of weeks ago.  Recipe is loosley based on Brewdog Punk IPA.  My IPAs are usually not this pale so will be interesting.

https://www.brewdog.com/beer/headliners/punk-ipa

Recipes can be downloaded here:

https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

Planning to dry hop at 14C as per the brew dog instructions.

A Witbier today. Basically a Hoegaarden clone with pacific for the small hop addition and I threw in about 1kg of porridge. A couple of interesting things:

This was the first stir plate starter I've had blow out and it did big time, yeast everywhere, delicious yeast 3944, the stuff on the side of the flask tasted amazing. So since I wasn't sure what the cell count was going to be but knew I had lost a fair bit I cold crashed and tipped the liquid then added new wort (1 L water with 100g DME) to make a vitality starter from whatever was left.

Next the mash, almost 1.5 hour in, recirculating the whole time and with a protein rest, it had almost no color had was hardly sweet, all the flaked wheat was stil intact, gravity 1.03. In an attempt to create a filter bed of husks and not get a stuck sparge, I had put all the barley in then all the wheat expecting re circulation to take enzymes where they were needed. So I garbed the egg beaters and gave it a good mix which broke up all the wheat and mixed it with the barley, then left it another 15min. Wort was then sweet and more colored.

Batch sparged a little less than planed volume expecting poor efficiency but ended up with 1.065 post boil so added water to 1.051 and it looks like there will be a few bottles in addition to the planned 2 kegs.

wit
16-A Witbier

Size: 40.0 L @ 68 °F - not real volume I'm guessing more like 45 in fermenter
Efficiency: 63.32% - not real efficiency it was much higher but I didn't get accurate measure of volume
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 169.56 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.044 - 1.052)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.012)
Color: 3.99 (2.0 - 4.0)
Alcohol: 5.01% (4.5% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 15.0 (10.0 - 20.0)

Ingredients:
5 kg (45.5%) Pilsner Malt - added during mash
5 kg (45.5%) Wheat Flaked - added during mash
1 kg (9.1%) Rolled Oats - added during mash
12 g (27.3%) Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75 m
32 g (72.7%) Pacifica (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
15 g Bitter Curacao/Bitter Orange (Peel) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
50 g Corriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 5 m

Mash 50c for 30min then 65c for 60min

Yeast 3944

YOUNGS SPECIAL LONDON ALE CLONE
all-grain recipe

5 Imperial Gallons = 6 US Gallons = 22.7 Litres

FERMENTABLES:
91% = 12.1 lb = 5.49 kg, Maris Otter Pale Malt
5% = .67 lb = 304 g, English Crystal Malt (going to use something light)
4% = .53 lb = 240 g, Cane Sugar

Pinch of calcium carbonate in mash, pinch of gypsum in boil kettle, Irish moss near end of boil

MASH at 151°F/66°C for 60 minutes or until converted

BOIL 90 minutes

HOPS:
1 oz = 30 g, Fuggles, 90 minutes
1 oz = 30 g, Goldings, 90 minutes
1 oz = 30 g, Goldings, dry-hops added to secondary fermentation
1 oz = 30 g, Target, dry-hops added to secondary fermentation

YEAST
Notty

Got my uk beer hat on this month

also looking for a clone of this lighter pale from young's,  suspect its just less the crystal.. and sugar as its similar but less body and no crystal hints.

I have a soft spot as used to live about 4kms from the brewery

I loved Young's Special London when I was back in the UK - one of the best bottled beers you could easily find. Might have to have a go at this i I can find some good fresh English hops.

Cheers,

Martin

will will put a bottle of the london special ale and london gold into my fridge , real thing not my version....   have a secret source will get you an 1845 sp? as well

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service