Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So I brewed a wit with 3944. Original starter blow out and made a huge mess, so I made a 1l vitality starter on brew day pitched at 17c. Within 24 hrs it was bubbling nicely within 48 it the rum bottle on the end of my blow off pipe looked like it was full of caramel milkshake and the thing smelled gross and sulfurous, which is apparently normal. It carried on for a few days as I bumped the temp up to finish at 22c. I swapped the pipe for an airlock once it slowed. Now I have started to move the temp down again its at 18 and its started to bubble again, its about day 10. Was going to cold crash and keg with 1/4 cup of dex to naturally carbonate now I'm not sure what to do. Cold crash seems like a bad idea but should I just keg with dex and put it in 18c fridge to finish there or wait another week in primary so I can cold crash and get rid of some of the yeast?

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the advice. I have a a fear of infections opening the tap on my fermenter to take samples, must get a turkey baster or something. Anyway I did open the tap and its at calculated FG so it must as you say be gasses coming out of suspension, weird its doing that as temp comes down. Tasted OK but there are a couple of things I hope might condition out, partly just sulfer I think and I've had that much worse with the MJ larger yeast and it was completely gone by the time the beer was carbed. So maybe all is well and I just panicked.

I'm thinking leave it till Saturday then quick cold crash overnight which should take a lot of the yeast out but leave a bit more in suspension than I would want if I were force carbonating a clear beer, then keg and let it naturally carb and clean up for 3 weeks or so before chilling and serving. Or should I give it another week in primary first.

Still bubbling away at about 1 bubble a second so maybe the wort is a little more fermentable than calculated. Sample came out fizzy as had dried out a bit since the last sample and lost a little gravity so clearly still fermenting. Smelled like a wit should but taste had to much yeasty weirdness like an under pitch or what I don't like about a saison or steam beer, hope that mellows as fermentation finishes.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service