Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

East Cost IPa/NEIPA whateveryou want to call it.

Who's done one and what was your recipe/process?

I've done a couple and they've come out nicely, I'm just interested to see peoples recipes, hops malts (oats etc.) and the yeast used.

Did u do anything different to a normal IPA or APA?

Views: 1351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My last brew was the Grim Neaper NEIPA from Brewtopia. Recipe is here

http://shop.brewtopia.net.nz/product_info.php?cPath=29&products...

Hopping a bit different, fist addition was first wort hopping and  first DH at high krausen. Tasting awesome

Im about to do the same as Mark with the Concord (Grim Neaper). Was curious on the yeast choice. 04 was never a favourite of mine. 

What yeast/s have you used Rob?

forthe ones I've done, I've exclusively used WY1318, its worked out really well too.

now we can get Vermont ale in Chch, I'm keen to give it a nother crack at some point.

I've been told S-04 is a good dry alternative and I've thought about using the (I think its empire) old Burton union yeast.

Thanks. Im going to run with S-04 on this one. Its a good yeast but, I have found its very fast and to manage diacetyl I've  need to respond faster with temperature. This doesn't run well with my rather lazy brewing style.

I preferred 1318 to WLP008, though both turned out good. I used 80% Gladields pale, 10% wheat and 10% flaked oats. I did FWH with Sauvin then big whirlpool with equal parts of Sauvin, Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra, same again for the dry hops, 10g/L each time!

I did find I was a little down on my efficiency, but not enough to cry about. Next time I'll just factor it in, and I'm thinking about trying 15% oats and no wheat too.

i went 20% oats on my first one. came out great (it was only APA size)

Brewed another one of these this past week.

I've enjoyed the different stlye of IPa, less bitter more hoppy, plenty of fruit and some body to it.

I decided this time round to use Libertyu Bell from MJ to see what sort of effectit has, and of course if the yeast floccs out well, then it should come out alot less hazy than others. Went nute for 3-4 days, blew the top then settled down,

I'll be intrested ot see the effect ofthe yeastesters on this,and so on. (Just a single dryhop this time round - due to hop availability)

MJ Liberty Bell

Columbus FWH/5/0

Mosaic/Galaxy/Citra Dryhop

15% Oats 20% Wheat.

Heck, 35% wheat/oats, how was the sparge? As someone who usually cant be bothered with the hassle/cost of liquid yeasts it'd be nice to have a good dry yeast option for this kind of beer so I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

I think I may have over estimated it. its probably more like 25-30% at most.

i'll have to double check. first smaples are promising, although the esters from the burton yeast are quite high thus far.

waiting for my single dryhop, and it seems to be dropping out pretty well.

Kegging this tonight after work.

Gravity check was 1.014, which is right on the money. Taste was good based only on the gravity sample.

I'll let people know when I can :) I'll post u pa link to my blog post about it.

sorry I cant be anymore help yet

Hey Chig,

after our conversation on Friday I went home and kegged it up - I force carbed and had some Sunday afternoon.

I've written it up already (work boredom)

http://beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/2017/06/m36-liberty-ale-yeast-in... 

Good little write up. I used it in an English IPA a while back and it produced one of the most amazingly clear beers I've brewed straight out of the fermenter (I only ever use koppafloc in the boil for finings).

I've got a good amount of Mosaic in the freezer and I'm craving another hazy IPA and also can't be bothered with the cost/hassle of a liquid yeast, but I'm going to go the other way and try it with good old US05. I would love to see a side-by-side comparison of identical beers brewed with Conan/1318 and 05 just to see how much the yeast does contribute to the style.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service