Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Can we get Conan yeast in NZ. If so whats it calling its self.

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did wonder about that, its hotter than I usually ferment but looking at wyeasts site they recommend 64f - 74f or 17.8c - 23.3c so which would put the mid point at 20.5c so 21c is close enough to that to be considered middle of the range.

Its a pity no one is selling NEIPAs in NZ, apart from party and bullshit but there's some debate about how in style that is. It would be great to try a few and assess if I like the style and have something to shoot for if I do.

My 2 tries with expressive yeasts have both been complete disasters so will stick to the clean (but not chico) ones for now. Been using WLP051 California Ale V for a couple of brews, it seems pretty good, the sulfer smell it gives off during fermentation is a bit disconcerting but it doesn't seem to be there in the finished beer. Might try 090 or 1272 after a few more generations of starter harvesting.

Eagle are doing one now.

1272 is a great yeast, i'd give that a crack first, as 090 is a little "too clean" for this style IMO.

I'd suggest with 1318 starting a little cooler at 19 and after a few days ramping up, it reduces some ofthe esters and helps create that character everyone keeps talking about

also Finneys homebrew in Chch (now Brew HQ) are now selling the Yeast bay Vermont ale yeast (Liquid) generally pretty fresh, and its the go  to for these styles.

Do you know what the Eagle beer is called? their website is down.

Agreed about 090 in a NEIPA. I really meant as a general house yeast. If I do have another crack at NEIPA that Yeast bay Vermont ale yeast is probably the go.

My house Ale yeasts (cant seem to choose one...)   

Ales:

090 clean as but distinct touch of nutty smoothness (you either love or hate it) /  needs to be warmer then other 2  ie 19-20C

1272 clean as / better at low end of temp range 16-17C

007 dry as .... / MUST have good temp control, throughs too many esters if you let it get away temp wise - 17C, given many HBers struugle with attenuation this is a good yeast....

090 and 1272 will drop clear from your beer not sure they are right for a NEIPA

My struggle with attenuation is usually the opposite. I'm just about always over.

I might try my 051 at 16-17c next time and see how it compares to the slightly warmer fermentation I've been doing, its supposed to be very similar to 1272.

East coast IPA I think

Might be keg only though.

correction - its called sandy jandals

Will keel and eye out for it

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service