Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have just done my first sour beer following the recipe on Brulosophy http://http://brulosophy.com/2015/08/13/berliner-weisse-soured-with...

I had left the grain bag in the kettle for around a day and a half when it struck me that it was around 8pm down to a ph of 3.6 and if I left it over night I may end up with a beer that tasted like sucking lemon peel.I had heard if your ph gets below 3.3 then yeast has a hard time doing its job. It was tasting fairly sour. Does the sourness of pre boil taste change to the finished product? If not 3.6 will be bang on for my preference but if it gets milder then I will need to shoot for 3.3 next time.

Views: 339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mark,

It generally goes the other way - as the sugar ferments out the acidity becomes more pronounced so you're probably all good.

I have had up to a three day lag when fermenting a soured wort (was around 3.4) using US05 two pack pitch.

Last time after rehydrating for around half an hour I added a little bit of the soured wort to the re-hydrated yeast (maybe about 100 ml into 200ml re-hydrated yeast solution), I then left it for another half hour in an attempt to acclimatise the yeast to a lower pH. Don't know if it worked or if it was just dumb luck but it was bubbling away within 24 hours this time.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks for that Sam. I only pitched 1 packet US05 as I didnt take into account the acidity. Would you pitch another? the gravity was 1.038

Hi Mark,

You're probably fine, I pitched two just to be sure (yeast entering hostile environment) but by all other measures one pack should be more than enough for anything below 1.040.

Just an update, it did take off after 24 hours and I checked gravity last night making 4 days in fermenter it was 1.006 and tasting clean and sour. I have high hopes for this brew.

good stuff mate, my first sour developed a jammy tasting thing like preserved fruit jammy even tho it was sour...    trying again with diff souring culture...

Hey Peter, did you pitch Lacto from a brewshop?

No i used yakult sp? yogurt... I now have lacto capsules and will make a 1L starter.....

I've been doing direct pitch of IBS support capsules 9-10 @ 28 C for a 24 hr fast sour - I threw my recipe up on the 2016 NHC thread if you want a look. My first few were done with grain inoculation but got a bit of unwanted funk going on.

i got these online after reading of success somewhere i think they where $20 delivered so that would be 3 20L brews, I tend to brew 10L batches these days so maybe I do 5 caps to get 6 brews.  they yogurt took too long to kick and something grew on top like moss.  was only a 10L batch and virtually no hops, thanks for recipe will give these a crack

LACTOBACILLUS PLANTARUM PROBIOTIC 10 BILLION 30VC

10 caps no starter right?

I've seen differing things - 1 is your way more caps no starter

or less caps with 1 litre starter.

Yep, rehydrate but no starter - I'm too lazy/unorganised for starters haha

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service