Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

hi every one.i am wondering if any body out there knows the afects or utilization of hops at between say 70-80'C after flame out ?

Comment by Sam DT on December 19, 2016 at 6:47pm
Hey,

That's commonly called a whirlpool addition.

Below around 85C (off the top of my head) the alpha acids will stop isomerising which means any additions at that temp or below won't add any more bitterness which means you can dump a shit ton of hops in and get heaps of flavour and some aroma without making your beer too bitter.

Again as you're not longer worried about bitterness you can leave them in there for a good hour or so to make sure you get all the goodness out of them - just make sure you give it a good stir every now and then and or whirlpool if you have a pump.

The other bonus is that now the wort is no longer boiling / at a lower temp you're going to be able to keep a lot of the really volatile aroma compounds in your beer (where they belong).

There's a thread somewhere on the net about 70 vs around 50C for these additions - can't remember the outcome. Just make sure you still give it a good fast chill afterwards so you don't end up with a super hazy beer.

Nice setup by the way!

Sam
Comment by michael james reece on December 19, 2016 at 7:01pm

hi Sam.that's great advise man.i am testing a hop rocket i built out of a presser cooker.i made that i.p.a on the weekend and man it smells good in the fermenting chambers.

Comment by Peter Smith on December 21, 2016 at 5:28pm
its all about contact time, the whirlpool implies movement, so if you just put hops in and let site still for 20 m ins at at 75C its not like 20mins with a pump running.
Comment by michael james reece on December 21, 2016 at 5:45pm

aha. i have seen a large scale brewery useing a intake welded threw fitting.that was cut on an angle to the side of a colecting tank.i don't have this in my boil kettel but i am useing a stirring rod on a high speed drill an give it a spin every so on.i am doing a few test with a modifyed presser cooker pot that i pump my hot wert threw after whirlpooling.so far the ferment smells amazeing man.:-)

Comment

You need to be a member of RealBeer.co.nz to add comments!

Join RealBeer.co.nz

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service